Shield 9mm Unique powder

I've used Winchester 231 (now Hodgen HP38) for years for 380 up to 45LC. I've also used and like the old tried and true Bullseye. I have my own loads and don't shoot enough now to start over with the newer powders.

I use Unique for plinking loads in various calibers including 9mm. The latest iteration of Unique is much cleaner burning than the "old" version. It is certainly not my favorite for "performance" loads.

For jhp loads I really like Power Pistol and BE-86.
For club matches I use Sport Pistol.

Originally Posted by samven
Unique makes a very good target load but its not really great for max power loads. Its also a bit on the dirty side. I use it in just about eveything .38 spec, 44 spec 45 acp and 9mm mostly for exactly what you found, nice mild target ltizenoads. If you play with the load a bit you can usually get acceptable accuracy.
You didnt say and I dont want to assume but dont use handloads for any kind of self defense. God forbid you ever have to use a gun you dont want to explain handloads. Even if they are lower power than factory you may get painted as trying to make a more deadly round. If possible always use something that approximates what LE is using, then you can claim you just use what the government suggests.

Can you cite an instance where this happened? Except for poor Harold Fish, who probably had been targeted by a DA with an agenda, I have NEVER read an account of a DA or a police department that mentioned the ammunition or gun used in a self-defense shooting. I live near Philadelphia, get the local news, and not once have I heard/saw a news report of a citizen being charged for "too powerful" armament used in an SD situation. Never a report in the Wilmington News Journal of an SD shooting that resulted in arrest for "too powerful" or "killer" ammunition. If some DA did decide to claim the use of "too powerful" ammo, they have to prove it! The burden of proof is on the State to prove it's accusations. A hand loader should keep good records so that you know how a load worked. The load should of course be able to be referenced to either your print manuals or online websites.

4.0 with a 124gr Bullet is quite low.
40yrs ago Unique was one of the preferred powders. It gets cleaner as you get closer to maximum loads.
Nosler manual #6 lists 5.1 as most accurate and 5.6gr as max. OAL is listed at 1.12”. Velocity was highest of any powder they listed.
This closely matches my experience. I’d suggest trying something in the range of 4.8-5.2. 5.2 closely matches most factory loads.

I personally don’t use reloads for SD carry, and don’t recommend such; but wouldn’t worry about the criminality of using reloads. It’s the civil action trial where you likely will be portrayed as a looney wanting to wreak havoc on some poor Affable criminal who was minding his own business (ie: Trayvon Martin). I suggest either Federal 124Gr HST +P or Speer 124gr +P GoldDots.The +P offsets the shorter barrels velocity loss.

Last edited:
Back