Shell Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20, 9349 miles FCA 2.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
*2016* Jeep Renegade in sig (they probably had a hard time reading my hand writing on the slip...). Chrysler 2.4 Multi-Air engine. Roughly 70/30 highway/city. Fairly heavy stop and go during AM commute, but rarely gets short tripped. The oil was in service for 8 months, and I only had to add 1/2 quart make-up oil. Kind of weird about the silicone being so high, I did change the air filter a few thousand miles ago, but the air box is sealed up tight, no leaks I can see. Thoughts?

1C031A8D-D18F-40A3-9177-CC0A94503647.jpeg

cant wait to see the results in my wrangler as I'm running it now. Is your year renegade and engine one of the years where it was it or miss with engine issues....such as oil consumption etc? Also did you notice a mpg gain with this run?

If you have sealed up your air path into the engine, then there is nothing else you can do except make sure you have the best-filtering oil filter you can get, which is a Fram Ultra XG10575 (if you have the room for 2/3 inch more than the OE size XG10060).
It actually could be some persistent piece of silicone rubber seal material kinda hanging out in a spot or two exposed to the oil. Wonder if some air filters can let in more very fine silica dust as a normal occurence too.
Wear ppm numbers are good, meaning the silica isn't hurting much.

Perfect ending viscosity. Rotella Gas T is good oil. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5269709/1 says its fine too.

Something to add to the discussion regarding the silicon. There is a VOA in that sub forum of this oil that shows 11ppm of silicon. Silicon is used as a anti-foaming agent. That should be considered with your analysis which in turn makes that silicon number a bit less worrying.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...t-rotella-gas-truck-5w20-voa#Post5035460

It's always a good idea to check the engine bay anyway while performing the oil change. Analysis reports are most useful when comparing trends. Obviously, one report won't give us a trend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Railrust
Pretty solid results. And you can't beat the Rotella rebates right now.

I looked on the Shell site and couldn't find rebates for buying 5qt jugs, can someone link me please?

Originally Posted by LotI
The stoners TBN limit is a bit too low for my comfort, I wouldn't extend the interval.

Yeah, I won't be going over 10k OCIs on it, since it's still under warranty.

Originally Posted by domer10
cant wait to see the results in my wrangler as I'm running it now. Is your year renegade and engine one of the years where it was it or miss with engine issues....such as oil consumption etc? Also did you notice a mpg gain with this run?

Thankfully this 2.4 doesn't have consumption issues. Have had a few warranty claims though: thermostat and housing, passenger side axle, electric fan, sway bar and end links, window seals. No real MPG increase to note. During OCI, lowest tank mpg of 19.4, highest of 31.7 on trip to Charlotte (I use the Fuelly app).

Originally Posted by PimTac
Something to add to the discussion regarding the silicon. There is a VOA in that sub forum of this oil that shows 11ppm of silicon. Silicon is used as a anti-foaming agent. That should be considered with your analysis which in turn makes that silicon number a bit less worrying.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...t-rotella-gas-truck-5w20-voa#Post5035460

It's always a good idea to check the engine bay anyway while performing the oil change. Analysis reports are most useful when comparing trends. Obviously, one report won't give us a trend.

Thanks for link, I don't think I have ever seen a VOA for the Gas Truck before. Interesting on the silicon

Originally Posted by paoester
If you have sealed up your air path into the engine, then there is nothing else you can do except make sure you have the best-filtering oil filter you can get, which is a Fram Ultra XG10575 (if you have the room for 2/3 inch more than the OE size XG10060).
It actually could be some persistent piece of silicone rubber seal material kinda hanging out in a spot or two exposed to the oil. Wonder if some air filters can let in more very fine silica dust as a normal occurence too.
Wear ppm numbers are good, meaning the silica isn't hurting much.

Perfect ending viscosity. Rotella Gas T is good oil. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5269709/1 says its fine too.

I could use a longer filter, so I will keep that in mind! An XG10060 is what I put on it. This run I used a NAPA Gold 7060 I believe

I wanted to as if this engine is know to be hard or gentle on oil? I have a 2018 Subaru Outback with the FB25B engine and I am think of extending the OCI with this oil upon the warranty expiring. I know it is not apples to apples as far as engines are concerned but rather for me about how the oil holds up based on the reputation of how hard an engine is on oil.

IIRC SubyRubyRoo I thought had a UOA from a 2018 Forester with the same engine using the same oil but I am not seeing it on BITOG.

Originally Posted by Ignatius
I wanted to as if this engine is know to be hard or gentle on oil? I have a 2018 Subaru Outback with the FB25B engine and I am think of extending the OCI with this oil upon the warranty expiring. I know it is not apples to apples as far as engines are concerned but rather for me about how the oil holds up based on the reputation of how hard an engine is on oil.

IIRC SubyRubyRoo I thought had a UOA from a 2018 Forester with the same engine using the same oil but I am not seeing it on BITOG.

Well power wise, your Outback makes 9 hp less at 600 rpm's earlier. Just a guess but they're probably very similar in regards to how hard they are on oil.
21.gif

Extend your intervals very gradually and very cautiously based on your uoa and TBN results.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back