Sew-up tires (tubular)?

I have a Puch Mistral SE bike from the 80s that has sew-up tires. I have always found them to be a pain, mostly because of the gluing involved.

Clicher rims would be nice, but I've not found anything affordable. Should I just stick (pun intended) with what I've got? Has anyone tried the adhesive tape that one can apparently now use with sew-ups?

I only use(d) the tape and it was fine. However, that was circa 1973 on my Gitane road bike, LOL. Sorry I cannot really help you, but I just couldn't resist.

If you watch Craigslist sooner or later you'll find an old road bike with wheels that will fit right on your classic Puch. The price of old bikes jumped up recently, people heard there was a bike shortage so it seems like everything dragged out of the garage is worth at least $200. It won't last. I've been watching CL, looking for a set of wheels for a TREK bike of the same era. Tubulars are pretty hard core.

I bought one of these $20 specials for an old front wheel along with some glue. Getting the old glue off after 30-40 years was a minor chore. But putting the new tire on was much easier than I remembered and it's a joy to ride. Give it a try; it's not that expensive.
http://www.yellowjersey.org/tt.html

When I first started riding with club groups, most of the experienced cyclists used sew-ups, but that's no longer the case. Flats with sew-ups are even more fun than with clinchers.

I'm riding a bike that came with sew-ups. I switched it to 27" wheels within its first few months, then later to 700c . Over 230k miles on it now.

I have Wolber tires on now. Maybe I should redo the cement.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Any concerns about the age of the tires and tubes? Not sure how old of a tire I'd put 100 psi in and ride on the road.

I have been thinking about that. These are probably 10 years old.

Back