Severe Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you think is Severe Service? So many different things in manual from one manufacturer to another. My manual states change oil at 4k for dusty condition or stop and go traffic and it also states low rpm and ethanol use will shorten OLM. I am always at low rpm as first 3 miles are between 25 and 35 mph with hitting highway at 45 mph. I do get up to 55 mph at least once a month but that is short drive as well as taking a trip once or twice a year. I do push the 10 mile limit on occasion but mostly 5 miles one way several days a week. I consider this Severe Service. Since this has become my normal I do 6 month oil change with Valvoline Daily Synthetic Blend 5w20 with between 3500 and 4500 miles. I am still waiting for the OLM to come on to compare and see if it recommends once a year. (Been 5k so far). Oh I did 7800 miles last year.

2018 Grand Caravan
14240 miles

Last edited:
Located in Palmer, Alaska and operating year-round, I consider my never-garaged Chevy Silverado performing in the "severe service" category.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SteveG4
Located in Palmer, Alaska and operating year-round, I consider my never-garaged Chevy Silverado performing in the "severe service" category.
smile.gif

+1

Originally Posted by tiger862
Originally Posted by SteveG4
smile.gif

+1

Actually with their winters its more like -50.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by csandste
My Soul is 3750/7500 miles. I devide by 5. 65,70,75000 etc. Put on 20000 a year, so it's four oil changes a year.

HyunKias I own will see 4K OCIs. Mostly city driving / stop & go...... twice a year.

Severe service as defined in the CYA automobile manufacturer's manuals is exactly the type of driving 98% of us do every day.

Many cars are sold as only needing motor oil changes every 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and with lifetime transmission fluid. But they try to leave themselves an out in case something goes wrong during the warranty period by claiming what is normal driving to most in actuality requires more frequent oil changes and negates the lifetime transmission fluid.

I am pretty sure I qualify for severe on my vehicles.

With my Subaru I go the full 6k miles. That involves towing a camper, sometimes towing a bit over the towing capacity, long idle warmups when it's extremely cold, some short tripping. The 350 tows a lot of stuff and spends time idling at the dump and driving on dusty roads, I still go the full 5k.

Last edited:
Obligatory BITOG answer - do a UOA

Everyone wants to believe that their driving style is "severe" like it's a badge of honor....

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Everyone wants to believe that their driving style is "severe" like it's a badge of honor....

bingo!

I DD my STI (turbo Subie), mostly city miles during the week, longer weekend stints on the highway, at least one WOT run per day. UOA showed that at the normal OCI of 7500 was doable.

9 1/2 months into my OC on my 08 Lucerne and OLM says 55% with about 2000 miles but manual says not to go over a year so come mid April it will get changed. 95% of my driving is short trips but I've read on here that GM's OLM in those years with that 3800 can be trusted. Before owning this car I never would of thought I could go that long between OC's on a short tripped vehicle, been an eye opener for me.

My Ohio driving consists of several short trips with the occasional long one. I change oil every 3500 because I like doing maintenance work. I wear dress clothes to work so any chance I get to be hands on I take it.

Originally Posted by gathermewool

bingo!

I DD my STI (turbo Subie), mostly city miles during the week, longer weekend stints on the highway, at least one WOT run per day. UOA showed that at the normal OCI of 7500 was doable.

LOL!
I would say doing UOAs, or better yet, a single UOA is some sort of badge of honor or knowledge. It provides answers to all inquires.

Engine is burning oil, do a UOA.
Metal in the oil pan, do a UOA.
Odd sounds, do a UOA.
OP suspects dealer didn't change oil, do a UOA.
Warranty dispute, do a UOA.

It's quite shocking how much stock people put into a single UOA on here.

Severe on the evo was 3K oil changes and 15K trans/tcase/rear diff/plugs. I changed out the oil every 3K (every month basically) and 30K on the other fluid changes and it was seeing HPDE days, drag strips, launches, and WOT almost every chance I got.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Originally Posted by gathermewool

bingo!

LOL!
I would say doing UOAs, or better yet, a single UOA is some sort of badge of honor or knowledge. It provides answers to all inquires.

Engine is burning oil, do a UOA.
Metal in the oil pan, do a UOA.
Odd sounds, do a UOA.
OP suspects dealer didn't change oil, do a UOA.
Warranty dispute, do a UOA.

It's quite shocking how much stock people put into a single UOA on here.

You haven't been paying attention then, at least not to me. IMO, a UOA is literally a used OIL analysis, not a used ENGINE analysis. I've said this before.

If the oil looks fine in an UOA, it's suitable for continued use - this is a fact and doesn't require a degree in rocket surgery.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I do push the 10 mile limit on occasion but mostly 5 miles one way several days a week. I consider this Severe Service.

I agree 100%. Short trips are hard on oil and living [censored] for the cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back