Series batteries

We used -48 DC to give uninterrupted power to our OC3 customer prems. 2 trays of 100AH 12 volt LA gel cells. 2 -48 DC rectifiers. A customer had 3 days of battery to get commercial power restored before the OC3 dropped out of the ring Try to explain that to freaked out bankers whose commercial powered only network wouldn't restore after a power fail. I was called in to fix MY "broken" network. Heh Heh. There are plenty of 12 volt hydraulic snow plow pumps wabbout something like that and just parallel 2 12 volts and be done with it 😃

Last edited:
No matter how many batteries you connect in series , you will never get more current than the weakest battery can supply .

i believe you need to consider this in this manner, 36 vols starting 3 batteries, ok, 36 volt running, maybe less as you increase engine speed a well regulated design should not overcook the batteries. now we come to the vehicle that pulls this project, have to keep one battery charged for this, need to pull 12 volts from a charging source that is isolated completely and well regulated, may require its own alternator, yes i am an electrical engineer who studied heavy current in college but is more familiar with silicone wafers today. and you are responsible to fabricate the belts and pulleys to drive this setup, good luck

Kind of an old thread I know, but usually anything that uses batteries in series should have them all dedicated to the same duty. You don't want them unbalanced. I know they can be charged separately, but when used I'd think there's a chance of cell reversal with deep enough discharge where one dips in voltage well before the others.

3x12V deep cycles+36V gold cart charger and a PSW 12V inverter to run it, get one with a remote. You'll need about 800W inverter output to get 15A battery charge to the 36V bank, so keep in mind that your 12V cables to the inverter will be very large (depending on the length of the wire). Only turn the inverter and 36V charger on while the engine is running.

It is possible to use golf cart solenoids to switch from series to parallel. Normally I set to series for key off. That way nothing can run down the start battery. I do not have time to draw up something but the internet is your friend I am sure a schematic exists somewhere.

Rod

Back