Sensen Struts - Any Good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
My Camry's rear struts have squeaked like crazy for a long time. They're also pretty dead (I think they're original).

Rock Auto has some Sensen strut assemblies for $35 each, supposedly a wholesaler closeout. $91 delivered for 2.

Are they halfway decent?

I was considering installing MasterPro strut assemblies on my Escape recently. Figured out they are rebadged Sensen, did a bunch of research, and decided to spend double the price on KYB. Too many reports of premature failure and overall mediocre performance.

My Sensens have been on for about 15k miles so far and everything seems fine. Don't expect Bilstein performance but more along the lines of OEM stuff on cheap cars. They're certainly not fancy, and I don't expect them to last as long as the originals, but for the money and the ease they were worth it.

If its a car you are just trying to get another year or two out of max then yea they are ok. But if you plan to keep 18+ months then get the Monroes, KYBs, etc...

I've used the Chinese struts for some customers and they are ok. But some started to squeak almost right away and others did not look to be of long life quality.

I put a pair on the front end of a late 80's BMW 750IL. Anything else was just stupid $$$! I installed them with a spring I cut half a coil out of, and they worked wonderfully for the price. They were stiffer and more controlled than I expected, and didn't change over the roughly 2 years I owned the car. I was pleasantly surprised.

31.gif

They are junk. Even though Sensen is an OE supplier to Chinese-made European-make cars (like Volvo and VW), their aftermarket shocks are garbage, supposedly a Chinese copy of KYB

Get the Sachs quick struts. They're awesome
smile.gif

Part numbers 033-042 and 033-043

I bought a set of 4 for my Explorer about 4 years ago. The only reason I chose them, was they had a 10 year warranty, the others I looked at gave 90 days to 1 year. I have no complaints about them. They raised the body a bit, but 2 of the original springs were broken. I think the ride is fine, with no squeaks or other funny noises. Total cost was about $70 per strut If I recall correctly. My 2 devalued cents.,,,

If you could do your own alignment--at least set the toe--I'd say, go for it. Worst case, you swap 'em out after a couple of years.

Those are complete struts, right?

Installed a pair on the rear of a 2010 Camry. They ride a bit stiff, but work perfectly fine. This was over 30K ago. No issues whatsoever.

At the same time, I had installed a pair of KYB's on the front axle. 20k later, the one of the KYB's start seeping oil and was warrantied.

Go figure.

Is this DIY? Sounds like perfect fit for a 200K+ vehicle that is nearly 20 yrs old. I think the QA on part at this price point assumes people installing on old cars with not long life span left...

I was so happy that my MIL Saturn VUE I spent $8/liftgate strut instead of Delco over $30/each. Car died within a 1.5 year and they worked fine.

My 02 camry got a set of sensens all around-- 50k later 3 were good but one rear one was soft.

I put a $40, shipped, PAIR of ebay generic struts on a 2000 camry I sold shortly thereafter. They were great, too, just what the car needed, though of course no long term data exist.

Yes they're the complete thing and I'd be installing them myself.

It doesn't see a lot of miles anymore, so I don't see it mattering I guess.

The baked potato handling can only improve
lol.gif

Originally Posted by Nick1994
The baked potato handling can only improve
lol.gif

I had that this past spring, thought it was just because it was a Camry. During a tire rotation I found that I had lost a sway bar end link up front! I guess even Camry's don't corner on their door handles.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
Rock Auto has some Sensen strut assemblies for $35 each, supposedly a wholesaler closeout. $91 delivered for 2.

Are they halfway decent?

I wouldn't buy wholesaler closeout struts of any brand OR Sensen branded struts. Combining both makes it extra bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back