Sending brand new/unused fluid for analysis?

Hi All,

Just wondering if it would make sense to sample brand new fluid (Transmission/Engine Oil) from the bottle and send it in for an analysis to establish a baseline of some sort? It does seem like a waste of money but it would be more accurate than comparing across universal averages I would assume?

Baseline for?

The baseline would be to get a starting point of unadulterated oil/fluid to compare against used fluid/oil to see how much additives is remaining. For example, if it started off at "10 moly/ppm" in the bottle but after performing another analysis and I see only "5 moly/ppm", then we can conclude that based on "x amount of miles," the oil/fluid should be replaced.

Rather than relying on universal averages from Blackstone let's say, I think this would be more accurate especially since it's more specific.

I would only do this if you can't find a VOA already done for the fluid you are using. Which is unlikely IMO; they are out there as people helpfully do it and then post the results. I google up VOAs often.

I do look up VOAs for fluids so I can check and I occasionally do a UOA and have that baseline. If you can't find a posted VOA, then I say do it. The last OA I had done was like less than $20 total including postage.

I’ve done this when:
1 - I have doubts about what’s actually in a
transaxle.

and

2 - I can’t find specs on the fluid that’s
supposed to be in there.

I doubt if you sent a lab an unmarked sample of some mystery automotive fluid, that they could identify it. Especially with transmission fluids. Maybe the FBI can but I doubt Blackstone and the like could.

The universal averages would be specific to the engine or car but not the oil. Therefore additive levels could only be compared with averages for all oils.

Last edited:
The lab didn’t identify the gear oil based
on the results, but I could tell that the dealer
put in LT-3 instead of MTF94 on my first
MINI and MTF94 instead of LT-4 on my
second one based on the viscosity and
the proportions of additives like Mg, Ca, Zn, etc.
I couldn’t find any specs on the LT-4 but
got them by doing a VOA on a new bottle.

Hi All,

Just wondering if it would make sense to sample brand new fluid (Transmission/Engine Oil) from the bottle and send it in for an analysis to establish a baseline of some sort? It does seem like a waste of money but it would be more accurate than comparing across universal averages I would assume?

Yes since oils vary batch to batch and evreyone her seems to hang on every PPM a baseline is the only way to be accuarte.

I doubt if you sent a lab an unmarked sample of some mystery automotive fluid, that they could identify it. Especially with transmission fluids. Maybe the FBI can but I doubt Blackstone and the like could.

No its not CSI miami or whatever there are many way to skin the cat and a blind lab test will not tell who or what.
Within families and lab can tell a PCMO from a Gear oil but if you are looking to see who made it forget it.

The baseline would be to get a starting point of unadulterated oil/fluid to compare against used fluid/oil to see how much additives is remaining. For example, if it started off at "10 moly/ppm" in the bottle but after performing another analysis and I see only "5 moly/ppm", then we can conclude that based on "x amount of miles," the oil/fluid should be replaced.

Rather than relying on universal averages from Blackstone let's say, I think this would be more accurate especially since it's more specific.
Why would it matter?

I just sent two oils in because

1) I couldn't Find a VOA of an oil I’m considering (Amsoil small engine 10w30)
2) I haven’t found a VOA of D1G2 PP in 0w20. (PQIA has one from D1G1 from 2017 but I can’t find one on PP, only PUP)

oils vary in formulation that posted VOA may or may not be close enough for you.
you need your own VOA from same lot of bottles that you will be using, then send the VOA and UOA to same lab at same time to reduce lab/ operator error. results with in a few percent are normal.

Back