self-driving cars and service?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOGers,

Does anybody know, what is the plan for the self-driving cars/vehicles as for service: dealer + severe service or independents allowed?

I'm just curious because of the increase in electronics and programming comparing to a regular base car/vehicle would point to not even dealer, but some very specialized techs/engineers/programmers...

Please comment or relay your knowledge.

Originally Posted by pandus13
Hello BITOGers,

Does anybody know, what is the plan for the self-driving cars/vehicles as for service: dealer + severe service or independents allowed?

My guess is the self driving car will be programmed to drive itself to the dealer when it's time for service.

It'd be the same. It all boils down to the owner of the vehicle. Doesn't matter if you have to drive it there or it drives itself there or if it's not working, you get it towed there.

You won't need engineers or programmers. You don't need them now with current cars. It's not like you're going to design a new car or new part when your car breaks down. Nor are you going to write new software for it. Same dealer network, diagnose and replace the broken part. They already do software updates at the dealer and Tesla does it over the air.

I don't see the self driving sensors as needing service.

Drove the wife's new Rav4 today for the first time on an extended trip. Turned on all the nanny/safety/autonomous features. Put the cruise control on with radar assist and it's pretty cool. About 50% of the way to autonomous driving. It will maintain speed, keep in lane, and slow down based on the car in front of it. Did yell at me for not having my hand on the wheel.

Don't know what extra maintenance it needs.

QP probably isn't that far off. When it's time for maintenance, it will notify the owner and the owner can do it themselves or send the vehicle to the service center by itself.

And the owner won't be us. It will be companies. You want to go somewhere, you open the app on your phone and hire a ride. Why own a car that spends most of its life parked in your driveway or garage? Everything is run by Uber or Lyft or Hertz.

Oh, you want to drive your own car? You won't be able to afford the insurance. Car races will be spectacles where people actually operate the cars themselves without computer assistance. The public will be astounded that humans can operate cars without crashing them.

Electric cars require far less maintenance. When it's time for something, theyll just alert the driver. Or if more sophisticated, schedule the visit to the service center and drive themselves there.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Hello BITOGers,

My guess is the self driving car will be programmed to drive itself to the dealer when it's time for service.

Hello BITOGers,

Will.the self-driving car schedule an Uber for its owner?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by vavavroom
grin.gif

Think of a self driving car as a taxi that you call when you need it. Do you care if one taxi is getting serviced? No, because there are plenty others that can be dispatched to you in its place.

Self-driving cars will cost at least a million bucks due to all of the mission-critical redundant electronics involved and the need for manufacturers to collect sufficient premia for product liability. And it will basically be against the law for anyone but manufacturer authorized servicers to touch them. Even the lowly car wash guy will need special liability insurance to wash a self-driving car given the potential for damaging sensors or otherwise affecting calibration. This extra cost of insurance will be embedded into the cost of servicing, ie: a car wash that might ordinarily cost $10 for a normal human-driven car, might be $100 for a self-driving car. You won't be able to get a normal slack-jawed-yokel mechanic to service the vehicle, it'll have to be some crazily trained person, with all sorts of QC staff involved as well.

Good topic. I imagine in a lot of dealer shops there are some go-to guys who excel at de-bugging electrical problems who may have taken an elevated level of training or are more interested in the electronics. Also there probably would be a section of the shop just for autonomous cars. They would rely heavily on computer readers and much of the diagnosis might already be done before the car arrives at the shop.

I'm thinking the sensors will take a beating especially in area where slush and road grime occur.

Originally Posted by Papa Bear

I would think it should be able to change it's own oil
lol.gif

That'll be version 2.0: the self-servicing car.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by pitzel
Self-driving cars will cost at least a million bucks due to all of the mission-critical redundant electronics involved and the need for manufacturers to collect sufficient premia for product liability. And it will basically be against the law for anyone but manufacturer authorized servicers to touch them. Even the lowly car wash guy will need special liability insurance to wash a self-driving car given the potential for damaging sensors or otherwise affecting calibration. This extra cost of insurance will be embedded into the cost of servicing, ie: a car wash that might ordinarily cost $10 for a normal human-driven car, might be $100 for a self-driving car. You won't be able to get a normal slack-jawed-yokel mechanic to service the vehicle, it'll have to be some crazily trained person, with all sorts of QC staff involved as well.

I'm not sure I agree. Once these vehicles are refined enough to operate autonomously, they will surely have self-diagnostic capability. If the (insert function here) module isn't communicating properly and passing its self-diagnostic, the vehicle won't allow itself to operate. At that point, it goes on a flat bed to a qualified service center, and the tech replaces the defective module/component/etc.

grin.gif

Think of a self driving car as a taxi that you call when you need it. Do you care if one taxi is getting serviced? No, because there are plenty others that can be dispatched to you in its place.

But I want my own personal self-driving car so I won't be at the mercy of some public roach mobile and I want to be surrounded only by my own biome.
31.gif

grin.gif

But I want my own personal self-driving car so I won't be at the mercy of some public roach mobile and I want to be surrounded only by my own biome.
31.gif

So just like you can get a loaner car when you take your own car for service, I'm sure a loaner self-driving car can be arranged for you.

grin.gif

31.gif

That's not how it's going to work. Not in our lifetimes but in another 100 years. Uber, Lyft, and Hertz will own all the cars. Houses will stop being built with garages.

Most likely self driving cars will not be 100% self driving only. You will need to move it around manually for some task. So, they'll just service like a typical non self driving car.

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
Electric cars require far less maintenance. When it's time for something, theyll just alert the driver. Or if more sophisticated, schedule the visit to the service center and drive themselves there.

Self driver and electric are independent / orthogonal to each other. You can have one but not the other.

I think the electric cars are the future so in all likelihood, if they are self driving, they will be electric.

Originally Posted by fsdork

That's not how it's going to work. Not in our lifetimes but in another 100 years. Uber, Lyft, and Hertz will own all the cars. Houses will stop being built with garages.

How many people will want to ride around in cars that have the smells and trash of others in them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back