self checkout, opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
My goal is to buy the stuff I want as cheaply and quickly and stressfreely as a I can. I don't need human contact to do this. If scanning my stuff is quickest and easiest, that is for me.

I don't use the self checkout, but i don't mind that they are there. What irks me is when its the only option. No registers open. When that happens at home depot or lowes, i take the receipt and do the survey, giving the store the lowest possible survey score in every category. I explain in the comments, that every time there is no register open, they will get this survey. They actually called me on the phone one day about the survey, and i gave them the same response.

Last edited:
My first job was as a cashier. There's a reason self checkouts are gaining popularity, a big part of it is people can be downright nasty to cashiers. I have a handful of stories from 9 years ago that still stick in my mind of people that we're just awful.

Customer: "I have multiple coupons"
Me: "Sorry, 1 coupon per person per day."
C: "Can you do separate transactions?"
M: "I'm sorry, but it's one per day."
C: "That's crap! I want to speak to your manager! Your customer service is terrible!"
M: "She's in that door down there. Go knock and she's going tell you the exact same thing."

Or
"The sign said this was 40% off!"
"Alright, let me get a price check real quick for you."
*coworker brings sale sign from opposite side of the store*
"I'm sorry, someone must have put that item down in the wrong spot. That sale sign is for paper, not pencils."
"Well can't you give it to me anyway? That's false advertising!"
smirk2.gif

I generally like them at the only place in our town that has them , WalMart, I generally find them less crowded and faster. Probably because many people don't like them. Have a friend that just won't use them because "I don't work for Wal Mart". So she stands in a long line instead of quickly doing the self check.

I like self checkout at Wally World. I don't want to be there so anything that's quick is good.
I'm going to do a trial run Sunday on the Wally grocery app. I hope it works good.

My Costco recently got self-checkouts and it significantly reduces check out times,

I use self check-out 99% of the time. They're faster and more efficient.

What's better? My wife orders everything she needs weekly from Walmart.com and has them bring the groceries to her car at the specified time.

What's almost as good? We haven't yet signed up for it, but our local Stop and Shop has scanners wherein you scan each time and bag it as you buy it (no more plastic bags here in CT), then pay for it in self check-out when you're done. It seems like a really neat idea; not sure why we haven't taken advantage of it yet.

Some stores ok and others not. I shop at Bj's and their self checkout system is a mess. I had some kind of problem and I had to wait 7 minutes before someone was available to get things straight.

I like self check outs as long as you can turn the volume off...

I don't like it when the sentry for the self checkout comes and rings stuff up at the self check out - if I wanted a checker, I would have gone to the checker line.

The questions is pet peeve though... first of all I don't need 20 questions... especially dumb ones... like BJs that ask you if you checked under your cart, yes or no... if you don't have a cart the correct answer is no. Since you don't have a cart you can't check under your cart... but you can't finish checking out if you say no, so they require you to lie to them in order to finish if you don't have a cart. Don't even get me started on Krogers "Your total is 99.47, is this OK?" (it is really not OK, it is too much, so if I say it isn't OK, can we negotiate?)

I use them but am not a huge fan. I've started to avoid stores that rely on self checkouts to checkout. There is usually other reasons to avoid them once you start looking.

I use them, I like them, and I leave my cart in the parking lot so they can keep an employee around to retrieve that.

Downers are idiots who let their four-year-olds scan stuff, even after I've gotten in line behind them. By then, it's time for the adult to take over.

Thingamabob that makes sure I drop coupons down the slot malfunctions, so I have to find scraps of paper to "try again".

Meat discount (short date) stickers that peel off with the clear plastic, exposing my meat guts to the air.

Aldi gets my vote too-- their cashiers are actually efficient.

I used to be anti-self checkout. But now that's all I do haha! I HATE dealing with cashiers and like another poster said,you can get in and out super fast!

A regional grocery chain has little scanners you carry with you and you scan items as you get them and put them in bags. Like it for 2 reasons, you can see if the scanned price is the same as the price on the shelf tag, and you handle your stuff one less time. Walk up to a self checkout station and scan a bar code and it loads your items in and you pay. How does it know you're not stealing? It doesn't and I don't care. There is the possibility that these cost cutting measure help keep costs down in the ultra competitive grocery business but we'll overlook that.

Can't remember last time we used a checkout line with a clerk. Too many of them will put bread in the bottom of the bag and a 5 lb bag of flour on top. And they don't like reusable bags much either. No thanks.

Originally Posted by motts
My Costco recently got self-checkouts and it significantly reduces check out times,

That sounds great!

My local Sam's Club has 8-10 self checkout lanes that let me get in and out in a hurry. My local Costco forces me to stand in line behind multiple people with "full to the brim" shopping carts.

Your post cracked me up, much like this bit. I absolutely LOVE Bill Burr!

*WARNING- NSFW language*

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dareo
They are the bi product of naturally raising or govt forced higher wages. If the person costs too much, the machine gets the job. One cashier can patrol 4-6 checkouts now.

Bingo

I used to shop over night, 2 am due to my schedule, at Walmart. I would do a huge $300 order with 2 carts. I went to the front lanes to pay and found not a single register open. Self Checkout only. I asked the clerk if she was going to open a lane. She said no, Self checkout only. I handed her two full carts of merchandise and told her I would not be purchasing this stuff, please have someone put it all back on the shelf, and left.

I'm not ringing myself out with $300 worth. Not happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back