Seismic qualification of nuclear plants

It was known that earthquakes in Japan can cause tsunamis, and if I remember correctly, they even had sirens that went off that were a warning to the people to evacuate the area because of the possibility of a tsunami from that earthquake. So we can have sirens that go off in an area because tsunamis are common after earthquakes, but cannot take into consideration that a tsunami could wipe out a power plant. The probability of a tsunami after a major earthquake in that area is much higher than the probability of one out of millions of trees falling on your car after an ice storm. The statistics were high enough that additional engineering precautions should have been taken.

It all boils down to money. And the cost for additional levels of safety. We all know that to add another nine to the safety of something gets exceedingly more expensive. And the legal systems assign dollar values to lives and properties and the bean counters make the calculations about how much they're willing to spend for the additional amount of safety taking into consideration the possibility of failures and the cost that such failures would generate and the cost of the additional margin of safety to prevent such failures.

Unfortunately, this results in people who do not have an engineering background making decisions about what engineering should be applied.

It was known that earthquakes in Japan can cause tsunamis, and if I remember correctly, they even had sirens that went off that were a warning to the people to evacuate the area because of the possibility of a tsunami from that earthquake. So we can have sirens that go off in an area because tsunamis are common after earthquakes, but cannot take into consideration that a tsunami could wipe out a power plant. The probability of a tsunami after a major earthquake in that area is much higher than the probability of one out of millions of trees falling on your car after an ice storm. The statistics were high enough that additional engineering precautions should have been taken.

It all boils down to money. And the cost for additional levels of safety. We all know that to add another nine to the safety of something gets exceedingly more expensive. And the legal systems assign dollar values to lives and properties and the bean counters make the calculations about how much they're willing to spend for the additional amount of safety taking into consideration the possibility of failures and the cost that such failures would generate and the cost of the additional margin of safety to prevent such failures.

Unfortunately, this results in people who do not have an engineering background making decisions about what engineering should be applied.
Are you actually reading my posts?

It was known that earthquakes in Japan can cause tsunamis, and if I remember correctly, they even had sirens that went off that were a warning to the people to evacuate the area because of the possibility of a tsunami from that earthquake. So we can have signs that go off in an area because tsunamis are common after earthquakes, but cannot take into consideration that a tsunami could wipe out a power plant. The probability of a tsunami after a major earthquake in that area is much higher than the probability of one out of millions of trees falling on your car after an ice storm. The statistics were high enough that additional engineering precautions should have been taken.

It depends on the location of the quake. A magnitude 9 on land might not trigger a tsunami but the devastation would be different.

Japan has the best earthquake and tsunami warning system in the world. In the video I linked you can see the time difference from when the alert came up to when people in that meeting started to look around. Watch the entire video to see the tsunami warning activated. It’s in Japanese but you should get the idea.

It depends on the location of the quake. A magnitude 9 on land might not trigger a tsunami but the devastation would be different.

Japan has the best earthquake and tsunami warning system in the world. In the video I linked you can see the time difference from when the alert came up to when people in that meeting started to look around. Watch the entire video to see the tsunami warning activated. It’s in Japanese but you should get the idea.

And all the plants are designed with seawalls for tsunami mitigation, which I mentioned earlier in the thread, and is foundational to properly understand the circumstances surrounding the event.

Back