Seeking Exterior Home Aesthetic Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your rear is cool. Front is boring. Way too much white. If that bush were moved to a spot between the windows that would help. But IMO some landscaping that adds color (red to yellow) to the front is just what it needs. The door thing doesn't bug me.

You could also use some foreground stuff in the yard between your driveway and presumed main highway... a picnic table with an umbrella. Pink flamingoes. It has that not-very-lived-in look.

Can we get a pic as if we were standing right outside the front door looking up or out? I can't visualize what those panels do from the angles you posted.

The front of the house is all white, just needs some paint to make it pop. Home Town on HGTV does a good job with refreshing the outside with some nice paint color combos.
I think the entry needs a peaked portico to better define the front. Doesn't need to be too deep but it needs a feature of some kind. Fixer Upper on HGTV do a good job on front of house updates.

I agree about the colors. I bet a red front door would make the front look better. Maybe it can be painted.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Your rear is cool. Front is boring. Way too much white. If that bush were moved to a spot between the windows that would help. But IMO some landscaping that adds color (red to yellow) to the front is just what it needs. The door thing doesn't bug me.

You could also use some foreground stuff in the yard between your driveway and presumed main highway... a picnic table with an umbrella. Pink flamingoes. It has that not-very-lived-in look.
Nothing wrong with white, it just needs some contrasting trim. Whoever built that house spent all their money on windows apparently, which was an awesome idea.

Very nice! My house also has a walk-out basement.

For the roof situation, I'd built a big arch and put brick on it. Like this above the doorway to give you both protection from the rain and an attractive focal point to break up the white:

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edwardh1
front windows far too small.
many DIY owner homes have too small windows
move mailbox over to the left

+1 Windows dont look right - too much plain siding, need bigger windows.

I agree with OP that copper or some other color door will pop, because home color is pretty bland.

The house needs a front porch. One that has a roof that extends out, and removes that plastic cover and goes across the front.

Paint the front and garage doors a color that will pop and clean up the landscaping. The large shrub is blocking one of only two windows in the front. It's a very unique and cool house, not your cookie cutter design. I'd play off that.

I know you don't want a roof over it, but it would look really good if it had a normal roof over it and some color.

I think some standing seam metal roofing in silver/natural or a contrasting color would look good. IMO I don't think copper would look good...

Was a roof constructed within what was the area that has the wreath in it in the just after constructed picture?

I'm confused by the picture right after it was constructed, it looks like there was a pass through between the garage and house? Which sort of makes sense because architecturally the "back" looks like it is actually the "front" or was, not that it really matters.

It is a cool house...

Roof the overhang, use light color paint of you choice to trim the windows, door, garage door. I'd suggest a light gray. Would make the front stand out more. Too much white.

I keep looking at the old picture, maybe it is the way the light was hitting it that makes it look like a pass through, or my marginal eyes...

At any rate, IMO the recess that existed prior to the front door being moved was an essential design element. It broke up the sameness (note use of highly technical term) that now exist. Whoever moved the door did the home a disservice in my opinion and has now created the problem of what aesthetically to do with the area above and also provide some shelter when stepping out the front door (shelter previously provided by recess.)

Some sort of panel is obviously the only real option (unless you're willing to put it back like it was), but you need something designed for exterior use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back