SD40 Guide Rod ?'s

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am the owner of an SD40VE.
Anyway, its a nice pistol, the trigger isnt the greatest and it isnt the prettiest gun but its not the worst I've come across.
The one thing I dislike about this pistol is the plastic guiderod/recoil spring assembly (mainly why I dont carry it), and upon further inspection today, it appears it is starting to crack and warp

I know the OEM one is 18lb, and can be found through S&W here: https://store.smith-wesson.com/sd9ve-sd40ve-recoil-guide-rod-assembly

at the same time, if im gonna replace it, I might as well find a metal one, right? I mean why not??

I found this one here

I can get it in 18lb, and it appears to be the same thing, just metal, for around 11$ more than factory.

Does anyone on here have experience switching these springs out? should be plug and play right?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
So I am the owner of an SD40VE.
Anyway, its a nice pistol, the trigger isnt the greatest and it isnt the prettiest gun but its not the worst I've come across.
The one thing I dislike about this pistol is the plastic guiderod/recoil spring assembly (mainly why I dont carry it), and upon further inspection today, it appears it is starting to crack and warp

I know the OEM one is 18lb, and can be found through S&W here: https://store.smith-wesson.com/sd9ve-sd40ve-recoil-guide-rod-assembly

at the same time, if im gonna replace it, I might as well find a metal one, right? I mean why not??

I found this one here

I can get it in 18lb, and it appears to be the same thing, just metal, for around 11$ more than factory.

Does anyone on here have experience switching these springs out? should be plug and play right?

Thanks.

I own an SD9 with almost 2K rounds thru it. My factory guide rod looks as good now as it did on day 1.
Call S&W and tell them what's going on. I bet they send you a new guide rod.

SD91.jpeg

SD92.jpeg

I have two of the SD9VE pistols that I bought for about $250 each. One is the boat gun, the other is a truck gun. I replace the springs inside one with Apex trigger kits. Worked fine until last week when I had a light primer strike. I'm putting all the factory springs back in. I emailed Smith and Wesson and they sent me the springs I asked for, plus a new recoil spring. All I had to do was ask, and they sent them right to my house, for free. Great customer service.

Just replace the recoil spring with the factory one. Just email them every 5 years requesting a new one.

The SD9 is a Glock clone pistol. Metal guide rods have actually caused more malfunctions in Glocks than the factory plastic part. The factory part is very good, and does not need "improved" upon or replaced with a metal one.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I have two of the SD9VE pistols that I bought for about $250 each. One is the boat gun, the other is a truck gun. I replace the springs inside one with Apex trigger kits. Worked fine until last week when I had a light primer strike. I'm putting all the factory springs back in. I emailed Smith and Wesson and they sent me the springs I asked for, plus a new recoil spring. All I had to do was ask, and they sent them right to my house, for free. Great customer service.

Just replace the recoil spring with the factory one. Just email them every 5 years requesting a new one.

The SD9 is a Glock clone pistol. Metal guide rods have actually caused more malfunctions in Glocks than the factory plastic part. The factory part is very good, and does not need "improved" upon or replaced with a metal one.

I'm on a few S&W forums that talk about the SD/SDVE line of guns. A lot of members were talking about how the steel guide rods are causing more harm to the guns frame (eating it up) and are going back to the factory plastic guide rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back