Scheaffers moly worth it?

Messages
303
Location
VA
Thread starter
I'm interested in trying Sheaffer 7000 5w30 in my wifes 2.0 EcoBoost Escape. The oil is a blend of PAO and group 2 plus. It has a healthy dose of moly at 295 ppm which is why I'm intrigued. I feel like this is a good choice for timing component wear. The oil is not readily available to me but can be ordered for $5.87 a quart plus shipping. The issue is that I have a sample which I'll post here that has some pretty good results using a warren full synthetic at $3 79 a quart and available on sale regularly in my town. My only issue with the warren oil is that is sheared to a 20w in 3k miles. I'd like to be able to use the sheaffer oil with a baldwin filter for the life of the iolm which for my driving is around 7k and 8-10 months. What are the site's opinions?

Screenshot_20200527-113735_Drive.jpg
 
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
If that's the brand you have your heart set on, I would wait for the new SP / GF6 spec in Schaeffers. Supposedly, additional timing wear protection exists.
I'm sure it's been discussed and I'll get some flack for this, but do you know when those new specs are (in theory) supposed to hit the market?
 
Messages
13,322
Location
1/2 hr N.E. of Detroit
Originally Posted by geekster
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
If that's the brand you have your heart set on, I would wait for the new SP / GF6 spec in Schaeffers. Supposedly, additional timing wear protection exists.
I'm sure it's been discussed and I'll get some flack for this, but do you know when those new specs are (in theory) supposed to hit the market?
mpgo4th Where were you planning on buying Schaeffers from? That's the place you want to ask that question. Around here, it'll probably be late summer before most stores have a good selection of popular brand SPs on shelves. The SN / SN Plus versions won't do your engine any harm.... in case you're in-need of an oil change real soon. Schaeffers is well respected here.
 
Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by geekster
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
If that's the brand you have your heart set on, I would wait for the new SP / GF6 spec in Schaeffers. Supposedly, additional timing wear protection exists.
I'm sure it's been discussed and I'll get some flack for this, but do you know when those new specs are (in theory) supposed to hit the market?
Where were you planning on buying Schaeffers from? That's the place you want to ask that question. Around here, it'll probably be late summer before most stores have a good selection of popular brand SPs on shelves. The SN / SN Plus versions won't do your engine any harm.... in case you're in-need of an oil change real soon. Schaeffers is well respected here.
Oh, I wasn't looking to buy Schaeffers..OP was. I was just asking about the new spec release.
 
To the OP...I've used Schaeffers 7000 5w30 before in two consecutive oil changes and it's a very quality oil. In truth, I didn't run a UOA to see the results of the oils performance. But it didn't cause any issues that were noticed or experienced. Use it without worry of quality.
 
Messages
240
Location
Illinois valley
I think the mfg's have a year to change the label but the product will probably be upgraded way before then. This way they can close out the obsolete containers. You won't notice any difference even if you pour it on your ice cream. I bought a couple cases of Schaeffer online but I have since found a local chain to buy from way cheaper but I still have to buy cases.
 
Messages
1,018
Location
Iron Asylum
Originally Posted by Randy_R
I think the mfg's have a year to change the label but the product will probably be upgraded way before then. This way they can close out the obsolete containers. You won't notice any difference even if you pour it on your ice cream. I bought a couple cases of Schaeffer online but I have since found a local chain to buy from way cheaper but I still have to buy cases.
NAPA carries it here locally.
 
Messages
3,626
Location
lllinois
"'Id like to be able to use the shcaeffer oil with a baldwin filter for the life of the iolm which for my driving is around 7k and 8-10 months. ". You can run that length easily.
 
Messages
240
Location
Illinois valley
Originally Posted by salesrep
"'Id like to be able to use the shcaeffer oil with a baldwin filter for the life of the iolm which for my driving is around 7k and 8-10 months. ". You can run that length easily.
What part of Illinois do you rep?
 
Messages
303
Location
VA
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Marco620
Maybe try the Schaeffer by itself instead of adding the moly to the Warren oil??
I wasn't adding anything to the warren oil. I was stating that Schaeffer came with 295 ppm moly in it.
 
Top