ScanGuage II and Powerstroke 6.7 problems

My 2014 Ford F550 6.7 Powerstroke diesel (cab & chassis) has been having an intermittent wrench, oil temp sensor at random. Instrument cluster goes off line...no speedometer, tachometer, oil temp, and no gear shift indicator. Truck still drives normal and eventually goes away. On my way home from a trip it did this for 30 minutes then all came back...stopped by Ford truck center to diagnose as this is the most severe incident.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ford check everything and found nothing. Says it is the ScanGuage II causing this. So I unplugged from port. Kind of annoyed at I like to monitor regens, etc.

Will drive and monitor without ScanGuage II to confirm.

Anyone recommend anything for powerstroke 6.7 diesel? Maybe this is only a cab & chassis problem as I cannot find any issues reported anywhere.

Thought I would share. Will keep thread updated.

I have heard of this before. Especially those "Snapshot" style plug-ins from insurance companies tend to cause all sorts of issues with some cars.

I have heard of issues with Scangauge II causing weird problems I would just keep the thing disconnected and not use it. Not limited to cab and chassis or even to Fords in general. Even in Toyota forums. I know you paid good money for it. My Autel 808 scan tool has many diesel related functions on it never used because I drive a gas engine. Also not running with it connected all the time. If that many gauges are going offline or wacky but the truck runs and there are no codes, I would suspect the scan tool myself.

Interesting. My Scangauge II is plugged into my Chevy Cruze diesel all the time with no issues. I like to monitor regens as well. Did you contact Scangauge?

mbacfp I may have the fix for your problem. There is a wiring harness mounted on top of the emergency brake mount. It contains all the connections to system modules that control your gauges, 4x4, abs and many other things. It may disconnect everytime you pull the emergency brake release and it slams the foot pedal against its stop. The little bit of force may travel into that connector and separate it just enough for no signal. Also it may not disconnect completely when that happens but while traveling it may open up from bumps or bouncing down the road.

I would first reach up ontop of your emergency brake pedal mount and try and feel for that wiring harness. You can usually squeeze it together and all the trouble lights will instantly go away.

I hope that solves your problem. I dont have any pictures but I can up load one later today.

Cheico,

Interesting. It always happens after I release parking brake and go to put it into drive. Will have to take a look into that area. Really appreciate the info .

Rat407, I called ScanGuage and they said I could send it in to them for free inspection. Will keep thread updated.

mbacfp I would suggest that from now on try and control the speed of your parking brake pedal by controlling it with your foot when you release it. You see I have been dealing with that problem since i got my 2015 truck. If that harness separates too much it can leave you stranded as the truck wont start without it connected together and it may even cause the transmission to have a fault and put you into limp mode. There is nothing worst than driving in a city and being stuck in traffic with no power, trying to get out of the way from an oncoming semi🤬.

Isn't it funny that the simplest problems cause the biggest issues.

Cheico,

Really appreciate this info. Would have never known about that...will be nice to parking break from now on. Will keep thread updated. Much appreciated.

If anyone wants to see the location of that harness I've attached a link to a video. Tried to use my best videograpic skills.

Found the wiring harness. I squeezed and it didn't feel loose or click in. It has happened 6 times after start up and only after releasing the parking brake then does as you describe. I think you have solved my mystery.

[Linked Image]

Had no idea this harness was right behind the parking brake. Will release parking brake slowly from now on for sure. Will keep thread updated on this matter. Cheers Cheico. Take care all.

Thanks Cheico I learned something useful today and I don't even own a Ford.

I'm happy to have helped. It's not fair when we pay thousands of dollars for a truck, these little issue cost us more money to find and fix. If I can help someone today maybe someone can help me tomorrow. Pay it forward, what makes the world go round.

Have had this truck for 5 years and was worried it had some electrical gremlins. So infrequent enough to establish any good ideas as to its cause. ScanGuage got lost communication codes, etc. Looking back now it always happens right after releasing parking brake. This last trip it did it on releasing parking brake so I pulled over set parking brake and shut truck off. Fired back up all was normal until releasing parking brake again. This makes total sense. Going to plug in scan guage again and ease the parking brake from now on. Will update thread over time to confirm this. Been a tremendous help Cheico with this invaluable info.

mbacfp

just curious if you have experianced any more gauge failures or module faults since babying the e brake pedal? I got my fingers still crossed for you.

I have been using scangauge II for 3 years with no issues. Have also programmed it for reading additional (non-standard odbii parameters) ... Also frequently visit a Toyota website with MANY scangauge users and don't recall any complaints. Also once in a while visit couple other Toyota websites with no issues to report. Have co-workers who use scangauge as well.

Very interested to know if scangauge is causing any issues since I was at first kind of paranoid to leave it connected all the time but now I don't drive without it.

An Update...have left my ScanGuage II installed. Followed Cheico's advice on releasing parking brake slowly and haven't had a single problem. Thanks Cheico for your advice as I would have taken my ScanGuage II out and probably gone to dealership again if it happened again without the ScanGuage (as dealer said it was casuing the problem). Saved me a lot of time and money down the road. Thanks again Cheico.

I found thst my scangaugenwoukd randomly turn on and off when on a battery maintainer in my chevy pickup. Tried replicating it on other vehicles and it didn't happen. Ive also noticed that scangauges don't report accurate voltages. Scan gauges can do odd things, not sure why.

Back