Saw a new BMW and had to do a double take.

Not long ago, while shopping for a new car, I looked at and drove, a beautiful low mileage '19 BMW X1? (SUV). Liked it a lot but cringed everytime a door was closed as it was a loud tin can sound, not the "thud" one would expect. Might have bought it anyway, but just couldn't deal the sales manager. Got the Audi Q3 and very happy with it so far.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by wemay
It just doesn't look like a BMW [to me]. Not that it looks bad at all, just different.

Honda and BMW designers must have been drinking together.

We've had this discussion about derivative styling in the past. But I see a big difference between the rear quarter light geometry and tail lamps .. That's enough these days to make a different looking car.

Now the new VW Jetta, Chrylser 200 and Ford Fusion look EXACTLY like squashed or stretched versions of each other with most all character lines, side glass geometry and door scalloping and even door pulls.

I think the FCA attempt was most successful :

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

and Yet the only one not made anymore. Guess defining success is different for Different folks

Kia hired beemers design guy a few years ago. I guess they still have some of his drawings at bmw. He did our 2016 Optima I believe. And I think they got the chassis guy too. There is a Nurenburg Velositer.

Kia hired beemers design guy a few years ago. I guess they still have some of his drawings at bmw. He did our 2016 Optima I believe. And I think they got the chassis guy too. There is a Nurenburg Velositer.
His name is Peter Schreyer and he came over from Audi. He's the primary reason the Kia Forte Koup resembles an Audi. Luc Donckerwolke (formerly of Bentley) replaced him as design chief in 2018.

Back