Saw a new BMW and had to do a double take.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
It just doesn't look like a BMW [to me]. Not that it looks bad at all, just different.

20200701_145108.jpg

Originally Posted by hemitom
reminds me of a kia forte and and a Elantra.

Either of those cars would be an improvement in reliability and value.

And a bit like a Jetta from the side!

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Either of those cars would be an improvement in reliability and value.

Hahahaha, I know what you are saying, but I'm not so sure. The way that Hyundai and Kia pop engines....

[Linked Image from cdn.carbuzz.com]

Last edited:
That is an unattractive car! The vents in the back remind me of something Pontiac used to do 10 or 15 years ago, when they over styled everything with ridiculous cladding, etc.

I absolutely love my E46, and I like our E90 a lot, but I doubt I'll buy another BMW. IMO, they've lost their way.

Scott

As i was pulling in to the spot, i thought so too. Granted, the front end is all BMW.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
That is an unattractive car! The vents in the back remind me of something Pontiac used to do 10 or 15 years ago, when they over styled everything with ridiculous cladding, etc.

I absolutely love my E46, and I like our E90 a lot, but I doubt I'll buy another BMW. IMO, they've lost their way.

Scott

I wouldn't go so far as saying they lost their way, but i, like you, prefer the E36 to E46 years.

Originally Posted by wemay
It just doesn't look like a BMW [to me]. Not that it looks bad at all, just different.

4-series GT?

anyone that says that is ugly.. be prepared to vomit in your mouth a little bit....

Saw this beauty when dropping off a couple amazon returns at kohl's.

[Linked Image]

Chrome Leaf springs, red painted shackles and axles. white driveshaft. 100% ugly

the huge overly wide chrome wheels with no name Chinese mudders stretched out on them(wheels wider than tires)

Oh and the fact that the tires are 100% outside the fenders which is illegal.

I didnt look real close.. wanting to preserve my eyesight.. but appeared to be a cheap block lift. Notice where the leaf springs are in relation to the rear axle?

Scott

100% my thoughts. Those new vertical grilles are horrendous.

Originally Posted by Rand
anyone that says that is ugly.. be prepared to vomit in your mouth a little bit....

Saw this beauty when dropping off a couple amazon returns at kohl's.

[Linked Image]

Chrome Leaf springs, red painted shackles and axles. white driveshaft. 100% ugly

the huge overly wide chrome wheels with no name Chinese mudders stretched out on them(wheels wider than tires)

Oh and the fact that the tires are 100% outside the fenders which is illegal.

I didnt look real close.. wanting to preserve my eyesight.. but appeared to be a cheap block lift. Notice where the leaf springs are in relation to the rear axle?

Ah, brodozers.

Bet whoever mounted those tires had a barrel of fun while doing it.

It's the new 2 Gran Coupe, meant to compete against the Mercedes A-class and Audi A3. Entry-level model based on their FWD platform, along with X1/2 and MINI, and other models not imported to the U.S.

To me, it's a good example of the difficultly of trying to jam a BMW-look square peg into a platform-dictated round hole. Easier to do with the two-box shapes than forcing design themes better suited to the proportions of their traditional RWD three-box shapes..

The result is an odd-looking model where something isn't quite right. Without the grille and the badges, it could be pass for many an econo-car.

Too bad Americans don't buy hatchbacks in non-SUV form; the 1-series sibling is a much more attractive model, and more practical.

...... but I doubt I'll buy another BMW. IMO, they've lost their way. Scott

I've thought that too, but for other reasons. They seem to be all about luxury and dumbing down the owner/operator's role.

Manual transmissions are getting hard to find, no dip stick, no spare tire, electric steering. And then there's the reliability issue.

Back