Sand Blasted Windshield

FIL's 2002 E430 has the original windscreen and 178k miles of touring. Is there a safe way to clean this up a bit? Has anyone used Bon Ami in the red can?

Nope, haven't tried Bon Ami though I have heard of it. I have used 0000 Steel Wool and Rain-X combination which has helped greatly with my vehicle. However, I wouldn't call my windshields(windscreen) sand blasted as you have mentioned. They were just in need of some help.

When you say sand blasted, are you talking about a windshield that is pitted from years of sand or is this just an expression?

Bon Ami will work on fine hairline scratches that are not very deep but at a certain point the windshield is toast. Check with your fingernails.

If the car is running good then its worthwhile to source a new windshield. Driving at night must be getting dangerous.

If, for some reason insurance is not involved, ask to pay cash. Windshield replacement places often offer great deals for cash.

It's exceedingly hard to polish glass. It can be done, but removal of enough glass to remove the sandblasted surface is so difficult, it might as well be considered impossible.

FIL's 2002 E430 has the original windscreen and 178k miles of touring. Is there a safe way to clean this up a bit? Has anyone used Bon Ami in the red can?

There is a way to clean it up a bit with this kit (they also sell a more aggressive kit), it works fairly well but you must keep the tool moving at the same pace over the entire area and keep it moving, do not concentrate on one scratch or area or you will irreparably distort the glass.
It is best to replace but you asked a clean up question and this is the answer I come up with.

Thanks everyone. I have not done the fingernail nail test but a good point. I'd say it just shows the wear of 18 years and 178k miles. Most noticeable to me were slight scratches in phase with the motion of the single wiper blade those cars have. My experience with insurance claims on windshields is the "dollar bill" rule, which this would not pass. Difficult for me to get comfortable applying an aggregate onto the glass.

Back