Salsa, do you buy it or make your own?

Since the girlfriend has a big garden we make our own salsa with some jalapenos, garlic, green peppers, herbs and diced tomatoes and tomato juice and some corn and black or kidney beans. How about you folks? Sorry if I'm talking a lot about food by the way
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I make my own in a Ninja blender, using this recipe:
https://www.ninjakitchen.com/recipes/search/0/all/100062/fresh-tomato-salsa/

The only other ingredient in addition to above is fresh minced garlic (about 2 cloves). All our friends love it. It goes well with ChiChi's original tortilla chips.

This past year the serrano peppers came from my own plant. Since serrano spice level can vary quite a bit, add more or less to taste.

No corn or beans in my salsa but yes I make it fresh when I have fresh cilantro, tomatoes, and peppers from the garden. I get the garlic, onions, and anything else from the store. I never want to bother with canning food so off-season I buy ready made salsa and if I'm feeling ambitious, may add store bought fresh ingredients, besides cilantro which I'd dehydrated from the past season, but it's nowhere near as good as fresh cilantro.

In recent years I've been experimenting with using less vinegar and more ascorbic acid (or sometimes lemon or lime juice) for pH reduction on batches I wanted to keep refrigerator stable for a few months, otherwise I prefer less (or none) added acid for a batch I'll eat within a few days.

Last edited:
i like both home made and store bought salsa

i keep my home made simple with peppers, tomatoes, a little onion ans sometimes adding a touch of cilanto
garlic powder and a pinch of salt and pepper

Originally Posted by John_Conrad
i like both home made and store bought salsa

i keep my home made simple with peppers, tomatoes, a little onion ans sometimes adding a touch of cilanto
garlic powder and a pinch of salt and pepper

I or we have not tried adding some garlic powder; may try a dash of this. Thank You sir
smile.gif

I've made it a couple times but didn't like it. Was too watery. I prefer the store bought kind that is has a thicker consistency but isn't chunky. I hate the texture of tomatoes.

I have been making my own cooked salsa for some 45 years and it is in great demand from close friends. I grow my own tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers, and herbs organically and put up about 50-100 pints each summer. We use it mostly on omelets, tortilla chips, and tacos. I also put up about 30 quarts of tomato sauce and 15 quarts of tomato soup each year. Needless to say I grow and lot of tomatoes!

nice job tom nj.

when i was younger and gardened, i grew habañero peppers (besides jalapeño and everything else), one habañero pepper could yield a gallon of salsa!

good stuff

Originally Posted by Leo99
I've made it a couple times but didn't like it. Was too watery. I prefer the store bought kind that is has a thicker consistency but isn't chunky. I hate the texture of tomatoes.

You can fix that. If pureeing the chunks of tomato don't get you where you want to be, just drain off all the excess liquid, then puree the chunks to the consistency you want, then add back however much liquid you feel it needs, and/or, whatever amount of liquid is needed to keep your blender from choking if it's really, really thick (or get a better blender).

Another option is cook the tomatoes, but then put in whatever fresh uncooked ingredients you want to in order to give it some fresh crunch. However, keep in mind that whatever you put in fresh, will drastically decrease its refrigerator life opposed to at least blanching it (heating till the temperature kills bacteria and enzymes), or making the pH low enough (acidic enough) that this does the same. For the best lifespan you would do all 3: Refrigerate, blanch, and have a low pH. If you care more about texture or low acidity or whatever, pick one or more of those 3 to suit your preference.

I don't buy it or make it. I have the best deal ever, we have a lady in our firm that moved here about 25 years ago from Mexico City. She's all the time bring us homemade salsa and it's the bomb !!!! And every once in awhile she cooks us lunch.
After that I'm ready for a nap !!!! LOL

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I don't buy it or make it. I have the best deal ever, we have a lady in our firm that moved here about 25 years ago from Mexico City. She's all the time bring us homemade salsa and it's the bomb !!!! And every once in awhile she cooks us lunch.
After that I'm ready for a nap !!!! LOL

some folks have all the luck! enjoy...
grin2.gif

Back