sad times in the Super Tech filtration world.

So the ST 3600 is no longer offered for sale in store OR even online.
I really liked this filter because it was a "hack", and allowed me to use a larger cheap filter for my 1MZ-FE V6 engine, instead of the listed ST 3614. I know it was made for the Ford Vulcan 3.0 V6, but it went on perfectly on the Toyota, and made the oil change easier because of it's added length. Guess I'll have to cough up an addition $1.00 for the MotorCraft FL 400s now....

You can always get the Champ FL 400 at Rock Auto for $1.90 plus shipping.
laugh.gif

Fram PH3600 isn't bad, either
smile.gif

How can you fit the longer filter in the 1MZ? I know the filter is on top but blocked by the manifold
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by kschachn
It's not on top and it's not blocked by a manifold.

I used to have a 1MZ-FE
smirk2.gif

Here is a picture (not my picture), but you should be able to see the white oil filter underneath the exhaust manifold. The filter can be removed and installed from the top, but it is angled upwards

[Linked Image from valvulita.com]

Yes it can be changed from above but what I meant is that the filter is on the lower half of the engine. And what I meant by it not being blocked is that a longer filter will fit, as shown by your picture.

There's plenty of vertical space for a longer filter on my 1MZ-FE.

One thing about that filter orientation is the oil will tend to drain down, and does, from the center tube, so a bigger filter is worse at startup imo. Another thing is the Motorcraft has base end bypass which means any dirt settling inside the filter on this car will be waiting at the bypass valve. I had that engine too, very common engine. On my Toyota pickup though a MC 910s or 400s would be perfect as it hangs straight down base up with nothing around. I think you are better off with the 3614 size.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Yes it can be changed from above but what I meant is that the filter is on the lower half of the engine. And what I meant by it not being blocked is that a longer filter will fit, as shown by your picture.

There's plenty of vertical space for a longer filter on my 1MZ-FE.

Thank You for the info, I never knew that

Originally Posted by rob1715
Originally Posted by CT8
A whole extra dollar?

+1

Your sig line cracks me up
lol.gif

Originally Posted by CT8
A whole extra dollar?

frown.gif
Yes, I'm afraid so. Woe is me...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
You can always get the Champ FL 400 at Rock Auto for $1.90 plus shipping.
laugh.gif

Yeah, the "plus shipping" is the part that I don't want to deal with.

Without the % of shall we say, less than intelligent people, most businesses would cease to make a profit.

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
One thing about that filter orientation is the oil will tend to drain down, and does, from the center tube, so a bigger filter is worse at startup imo.

If the ADBV is sealing 100% oil will stay inside the filter, regardless of the orientation, even if the center tube might lose some oil. Proved that with letting a filled filter sit for a week with the base down, and all oil trapped between the media and can stayed in the filter.

One thing about that filter orientation is the oil will tend to drain down, and does, from the center tube, so a bigger filter is worse at startup imo. Another thing is the Motorcraft has base end bypass which means any dirt settling inside the filter on this car will be waiting at the bypass valve. I had that engine too, very common engine. On my Toyota pickup though a MC 910s or 400s would be perfect as it hangs straight down base up with nothing around. I think you are better off with the 3614 size.

Um, no actually. The center tube leads to the oil galleries which are full of oil from the heads, down to the Center tube and the hydrostatic pressure is keeping the center tube slightly pressured. The ADBV will keep the oil from reversing through the media and going back into the pan.

Back