S&W M&P 2.0 Pistols

"Current bullets are designed to do well in ballistics gel."

When you hang multimillion dollar sales contracts on how something performs in a particular test, you get products that perform well in that test.

BSW

New 9mm M&P M2.0 Pro Series C.O.R.E. is on its way to my FFL. I can't even shoot the thing yet but I've wanted it for a while now and decided to just do it. I need a little bit of material happiness in my life right now.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
New 9mm M&P M2.0 Pro Series C.O.R.E. is on its way to my FFL. I can't even shoot the thing yet but I've wanted it for a while now and decided to just do it. I need a little bit of material happiness in my life right now.
smile.gif

Let me know how you like it. I saw the "standard" 4.25" M&P 2.0 for $369 with free shipping and no tax (https://www.smga.com/smith-and-wesson/mp-m20-9mm-425-bbl-1050) and am half-tempted to grab another, but I do want a C.O.R.E. model too.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Let me know how you like it. I saw the "standard" 4.25" M&P 2.0 for $369 with free shipping and no tax (https://www.smga.com/smith-and-wesson/mp-m20-9mm-425-bbl-1050) and am half-tempted to grab another, but I do want a C.O.R.E. model too.

Which is frustrating because the Pro Series (improved trigger) C.O.R.E. (optics ready, tall sights) version I bought was $300 more than that, but no one's offering discounts on that model. You can find the standard model(s) for $400 all day but they are useless for a blind guy like me.
frown.gif

I put a few rounds through one a few years ago and liked it quite a bit save for the overly rough factory stippling.

Which is frustrating because the Pro Series (improved trigger) C.O.R.E. (optics ready, tall sights) version I bought was $300 more than that, but no one's offering discounts on that model. You can find the standard model(s) for $400 all day but they are useless for a blind guy like me.
frown.gif

I put a few rounds through one a few years ago and liked it quite a bit save for the overly rough factory stippling.

I wonder if you can simply have the standard model cut like the C.O.R.E.? I see Glocks and HKs done like that all the time.

I wonder if you can simply have the standard model cut like the C.O.R.E.? I see Glocks and HKs done like that all the time.

Yes but it almost always comes out to about $200 for the cut and to have it refinished properly, and then you're locked into whatever red dot footprint you had it cut for. I figured the other $100 would be worth it for a smoother, lighter trigger and sights to co-witness.

Sorry, my gripe really wasn't aimed at the price difference for the Pro Series C.O.R.E. specifically, more just me moaning that I can't shoot pistols now without the added expense of using optics, both needing a pistol that can mount one and then having to buy the optic itself. Prices are higher and choices are slimmer. But maybe it's a good thing because otherwise I'd be collecting more handguns.

Well, I picked up my M&P C.O.R.E. yesterday and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. One of the button head allen screws that hold the plastic optic filler plate on was buggered up a little like it was double-stamped or something when it was made. I had a hard time getting it out without rounding out the hex but I was able to do so thankfully only to find that the threads were also messed up a little. So now I have a brand-new optics-ready pistol that I paid a lot for that feature that has a mounting hole with borked threads. I had to install my Holosun 507 with one long and one short screw just to make it work for today's scheduled range trip. I assume Smith and Wesson will take care of me somehow if I complain, but chances are also good that they will tell me to take it to a gunsmith to have the threads chased which is something I can do on my own.

I'm still happy I bought it but not too thrilled with the quality control so far. Some of the plastics used seem to be of a pretty low quality with a lot of sharp flashing. Maybe it'll be a dream to shoot and make me forget my issues with it but I don't have my hopes up.

Wasn't this model discontinued and replaced by the Shield? Did you research the Core online, prior to purchase?

Sorry to read about your misfortune. I bought a troubled 9mm a few years ago. I took a slege-hammer to that Taurus PT111 G2. I can't deal with a handgun that's not trustworthy and the Taurus factory called "within specs" and sent it right back to me.

Taurus lifetime warranty is garbage. That's where about 40 smashed pieces of that $229) 9mm went too..... right in the garbage.

Nope, the Pro Series C.O.R.E. versions of the M&P M2.0 line pistols were just released in the last two months or so. Smith and Wesson had still been using the older 'M1.0' version as a base for their competition and optics-ready line up until now even though the improved M2.0 design came out years ago.

Well, I picked up my M&P C.O.R.E. yesterday and I have to say I'm a little disappointed. One of the button head allen screws that hold the plastic optic filler plate on was buggered up a little like it was double-stamped or something when it was made. I had a hard time getting it out without rounding out the hex but I was able to do so thankfully only to find that the threads were also messed up a little. So now I have a brand-new optics-ready pistol that I paid a lot for that feature that has a mounting hole with borked threads. I had to install my Holosun 507 with one long and one short screw just to make it work for today's scheduled range trip. I assume Smith and Wesson will take care of me somehow if I complain, but chances are also good that they will tell me to take it to a gunsmith to have the threads chased which is something I can do on my own.

I'm still happy I bought it but not too thrilled with the quality control so far. Some of the plastics used seem to be of a pretty low quality with a lot of sharp flashing. Maybe it'll be a dream to shoot and make me forget my issues with it but I don't have my hopes up.

This is why I don't like ordering guns online.

Understandable but this problem wasn't apparent until I had it home already. Visually it was fine so it wouldn't have been noticed if I could have handled it first before buying.

Well, that is unfortunate. Where did you order it?

Of the firearms I've bought in the last 10 years, I think only one was perfect and didn't have some level of a buggered up screw head, roll-pin or similar. Seems the gun manufacturers these days are just sloppy during assembly, where an extra minute of care would result in assembly without buggered up components.

Well, that is unfortunate. Where did you order it?

Bud's but I found out afterwards it was a bit cheaper elsewhere.

My range trip yesterday went fine. Thankfully they are now open but only to members so that made the decision to sign up pretty easy.

I like the M&P very much but it's not perfect. Using the small grip strap made it most comfortable and it couldn't be any easier to swap. I changed my G17.5 to a flat trigger shoe but I like the M&P's curved trigger shoe just fine. I'm not a fan of light target triggers so I may find out what parts are different and swap them back to whatever the standard model uses. It has a bit of take-up and the release is not as sharp and positive as I would like and nor is the reset but overall it works fine. I found I missed having 'real' front slide serrations as the optic gets in the way of the rears but it's workable. Mag insertion and release feels positive but a little 'light' compared to my Glock and APX. I just need to get the slide threads sorted out and I'll be a lot happier with it overall.

I bought a 6-32 tap and handle and gently cleaned out the borked threads in the slide using light pressure and some Hoppe's to lube the tap. It was tight but it wasn't cutting new threads until it hit the damaged part when the tap started screeching. Working it back and forth and a bit further each time got them cleaned up nicely and the pre-threadlocked screws went in firmly.

I went through the rest of the pistol and cleaned up some plastic flashing here and there, especially the over-travel screw access hole which was filled with plastic curls. I'm finally happy with it.

Back