RUGER SP101 .357 Mag

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a relic, a SP101 in 9MM which uses a moon clip. The moon clip is nice for fast loading. I really like this gun for it's power and size. I also agree on the 357 GP100 in as I have one of these as well.

I wanted to get one of those when they came out but never did. Local shop has a S&W 640 in 9mm but I currently have an empty wallet...

ooh, i thought the sp101 was only in .327 I like that it comes in 357/38. If I was using for home defense, I would put some Crimson Trace grips on it.

Last edited:
Rugers are overbuilt. The apparent reason was that when developing the Security Six, one failed with a high pressure load. Bill Ruger then made sure to add more meat to it to make sure it would not happen. Ever since, Rugers are tanks compared to a S&W or Colt of the same size.

I love my 1980 vintage Security Six. The old Rugers are awesome because they have the pre lawyer era triggers.

I bought a .357 Sp101 with 3" barrel 18 years ago. I have put close to 1000 rounds through it, half .357 and half .38. I have never had a problem with the gun, it still looks almost as good as new. I keep it loaded with 125 grain JHPs at the house. You do not want to put many of these through the gun, they have a ton of "punch" to them, the recoil is pretty bad.

I'd never call a SP-101 a bad gun, but I don't know if I'd ever own one. A bit too heavy and bulky for CCW compared to a 442/642 (or a 340, if you NEED a .357). And for nightstand use, I'd go with a full size pistol or revolver for the increased ammo capacity and longer sight radius.

Its big brothers, the GP-100 and Security Six, make excellent HD guns.

I'd go with 38+p in the gun for faster follow up shots. Make sure the ammo you buy has flash suppressant in the powder for low light shooting.

I picked up one of these for my wife about a year ago and love it myself! I can carry open as my wilderness gun without regretting the size and weight after a full day of hiking. After firing mostly autoloaders all of my life I thought that this gun would be a punisher with .357s but it's not. It's great fun to shoot these loads through it! For my wife's CCW I prefer Speer Gold-Dot 125 gr 38+P to ensure she can control it if a situation required shooting with one hand.

While this gun definitely doesn't conceal like my little .380 LCP, I can hide it on my relatively thin 180lb 6' frame with an Uncle Mike's in-the-pant holster and an untucked patterned linen shirt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back