Rotella T synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a "real synthetic" ??? container does not say it is a blend so I assume it is a full synthetic.
If so it seems like the best deal in town.
$11.95 a gallon
Have used the regular Rottella 15w40 for years in diesel fords. Purchased the synthetic 5w40 to put in gas burners.

First time post, long time lurker...

I'm also considering using the 5w-40 Rotella T in two of my vehicles.

The first is a 2000 GMC Sierra with the 5.3 liter engine, with a 3.73 rear end. It has 41,000 miles on it, and is occasionally used to pull a 25', 7000# travel trailer. I change oil every 3,000-3,500 miles. It is used on a daily commute of 12 miles round trip, 90% highway speeds.

The owner's manual specifies either 5w-30 or 10w-30. It seems to me that the 5w-40 would be a good fit for year around use, especially when pulling the trailer. The truck is garaged in a building that rarely drops below freezing, even in the winter.

The second vehicle is a 2002 Honda Goldwing. It gets ridden about 15,000 miles a year, and also assumes a lot of the commuting to work, 8 months out of the year. I change the oil every 3,000-3,500 miles. The owner's manual recommends 10w-40, but allows the use of other weight oils. Unlike a lot of Goldwing owners, I'm not looking for smoother shifting or anything else. Just a good quality oil.

Seems to me that the Rotella T is a reasonably good fit for both vehicles, especially at $12 a gallon.

Please explain to me the difference in group1,2,&3 oils. And how can I tell which oil is what. Im an oil illiterate. When is an synthetic a real synthetic.

In addition to group 4 being full syn, a group 5 oil such as Redline, made mostly of esters, is also a full synthetic. I know there are some good explanations of what each group means, doing a search might turn some up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back