Rotella Gas Truck: Formulated Like "HM" Oil?

RGT is marketed for All Mileages. Does this mean it's formulated similar to oils marketed as High Mileage? Most ordinary oils aren't labeled as All Mileages, so it must imply something specific about the formulation. Before calling SOPUS, I thought I'd ask here how people interpret that label.

Here's what the spec's say(NO) as far as any grade being HIGH MILEAGE on the 0W20/5W20
And e.g., this one which is 5W30. So, SHELL is making no claim as to RGT being *HM*.

SPECIFICATIONS
ATV:No
Conventional:No
Detergency:Yes
Diesel Approved:No
Flash Point:237 Deg. C
GM Dexos Compatible:Yes
*High Mileage:No*
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 Degress Celcius:11.7 mm/s
Kinematic Viscosity @ 40 Degrees Celcius:66.4 mm/s
Pour Point:-42 Deg. C
Race Only:No
Weight:5W-30
Standards:SN PLUS, SN-Resource Conserving
Synthetic:Yes
Synthetic Blend:No
Viscosity Index:173

Also have a look at the RGT sticky. Although the formatting is a little off.

Shell Rotella Gas Truck full synthetic motor oil is a unique formulation from others in the Shell lubricants portfolio. It is formulated with a higher level of antioxidants to perform better in larger truck and SUV engines. This enables the oil to cope with the more stressful and hotter operating conditions, often encountered by truck and SUV owners, especially in extreme environments and conditions such as stop-and-go driving, sludge forming environments, extensive idling, heavy hauling and towing, rugged terrain and extreme hot and cold temperatures.

I think that the "All Mileage" moniker is marketing to suggest that this oil can be used at any time in any applicable engine without the consumer having to worry about when and if they need to switch to using a dedicated high mileage oil. Also it cuts down on production cost for Shell so that they have no need to create a high mileage version of RGT.

I think it is a very smart move on Shell's part.

RGT is marketed for All Mileages. Does this mean it's formulated similar to oils marketed as High Mileage? Most ordinary oils aren't labeled as All Mileages, so it must imply something specific about the formulation. Before calling SOPUS, I thought I'd ask here how people interpret that label.

Call SOPUS and report back!
I speculated about this in another thread and concluded that it is probably formulated much like QSUD, which according to their marketing materials (take a look at the back of a QSUD bottle) has some seal conditioning qualities, but not as much as a dedicated HM oil.

Back