Rotella for 2019 Powerstroke??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to use Rotella T6 5W-40 in a 2019 6.7L powerstroke? What about Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40? It's hard to believe that Ford had to make its own oil spec because every oil blender has concluded that CK-4 has better wear protection than CJ-4, everyone except ford

The Amsoil SS 5w40 and Redline 15w40 both outperformed Rotella T6 with 1/2 the wear metals. There is a guy on here who ran UOAs and it's posted here somewhere.

Recent containers of T6 should be Ford approved. I would look for the Ford spec on the T6 label. In case there are older lots of T6 not Ford approved.

I am running Delo 5W40 synthetic in my PSD. I think its CJ-4. I bought a lot of CJ-4 when CK-4 came out and most of it was not Ford PSD approved. I am just now using it up.

Rotella T6 yes, Delvac 1 not showing approved. If you can find the 0w40 Delvac 1 I saw that as approved.

Rotella T6 or Valvoline premium blue extreme 5w40 are both obtainable for about $20 a gallon. NAPA auto parts usually has the VPBE on sale about every three months for $19.99 just have to watch for the sales advertisement.

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
The Amsoil SS 5w40 and Redline 15w40 both outperformed Rotella T6 with 1/2 the wear metals. There is a guy on here who ran UOAs and it's posted here somewhere.

More proof please. Having some boutique fanboy who posted "here somewhere" saying Shell Rotella T6 is not up to the task is Internet you-know-what.

You can run Rotella, but IMO there are better oils.
The list has already been posted, as well as the recommendation for Valvoline Premium Blue, which I second. Good oil, cheap enough when on sale at NAPA or Menards.
The topic of PowerStroke oils has been bashed and thrashed in many forms here.
5w vs 15w, 30 vs 40, should I run uber cash 99.5% PAO or can I dump my 1.35 a gallon closeout oil in?
Ford has never done well with fluid recommendations. I swear their goal is to confuse every owner of a Ford so much they return to the dealer where even most of them dump whatever cheap bulk in and send it on down the highway.
I have a 2016, and am running that 1.35 a gallon Peak 15w40 semi-syn CJ-4 in mine. The engine and I are both happy.
My BIL has a 2012 currently running Harvest King 15w40 from Rural King at 11.99 for 2 gallons.
There is still CJ-4 out there, go get a few gallons, change it every once in a while, and drive. There are more than a few local 6.7's here on unapproved Mobil Delvac and Delo that haven't stopped yet as well. One thing we all seem to agree on in the group is to run a Donaldson P502503 filter though.
OT, but is anyone looking forward to the redesign of the PSD for 2020? 1015 foot pounds of torque is impresssive.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot

More proof please. Having some boutique fanboy who posted "here somewhere" saying Shell Rotella T6 is not up to the task is Internet you-know-what.

+1 - if the container of T6 says it meets the Ford PSD spec, I would use it without concern.

What I do not know is if the original containers of T6 CK-4 where the containers did not mention the Ford PSD spec, did they really meet it but not yet tested, or did Shell tweak the T6 CK-4 formula a little to meet the Ford PSD spec. But at this point I doubt there are any of those containers of T6 on store shelves. But I would still look at the container of T6 before I bought it.

See below links. Same 2014 6.7 PSD with T6 5w40 (CJ4), Red Line 15w40, and Amsoil Signature Series 5w40. Not saying all engines would behave the same way. This data includes at least 2 runs of each of these oils in the very same engine.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-10-070-miles-amsoil-ss-5w40#Post5063896

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4218169/2014_F250_6.7_with_Rotella_T6

We do know, of course, that "wear numbers" on snapshot UOAs don't demonstrate which lube is performing better. The same applies when I jump to Red Line's defence when people get concerned about a few extra PPM in those UOAs.

If one likes chasing UOA numbers, that's great. In the end, that has no bearing on the reality of the lifespan of an engine nor is it an effective proxy for wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back