ROCKAUTO selling old expired stock.

Messages
927
Location
ottawa
Thread starter
Just wanted to share with everyone that rockauto is selling old expired Lubegard biotech 15 ounce bottles. I just bought 10, they looked a little old to me so I emailed pictures of the bottles to Lubegard. They confirmed that the bottles I have are older than 7 years. Which is past the shelf life for the product. The labels on my bottles are silver with blue lettering. Good bottles are white with red lettering. Just wanted to share. Rockauto wont do anything about it. Take care
 
Messages
1,243
Location
Warner Robins, GA
I'm not shocked. I got a wholesale closeout rubber brake hose from them once that was 30 years old.. Rockauto can be a little bit of a crapshoot but I still do business with them when it makes sense.
 

pbm

Messages
8,677
Location
New York
A couple of years ago I bought 'Clearance' oil filters from RA that were made in 1994.....many had rust on the baseplate...RA is definitely a crapshoot....
 
Messages
1,683
Location
Dallas Texas Area
Originally Posted by pbm
A couple of years ago I bought 'Clearance' oil filters from RA that were made in 1994.....many had rust on the baseplate...RA is definitely a crapshoot....
Funny story. Years ago I ordered a rear caliper for my 82 trans am they sent me a NOS one dated 1984 in a old dusty white/blue ac/delco box, everything was new, I was in COMPLETE shock !! I never installed it on my car, ended up selling it to a collector friend with several mint classic trans am's for $250 for his private NOS parts collection (his offer): Sooooooo I guess ??? Thank you Rock Auto ?? thumbsup crackmeup Dave
 
Messages
4,785
Location
VA
From my limited understanding, they have little control over their vendors.
 
Messages
3,924
Location
SW Ohio
Originally Posted by Ram02
Can't blame Rockauto their suppliers they gotta get rid of there old products sitting there first.
No, their suppliers need to do better inventory control, dispose of products when applicable, and write off the loss.
 
Messages
2,009
Location
New York City
The suppliers answer to Rock Auto when shipping product ordered through Rock Auto. If Rock Auto doesn't care, neither do the suppliers. On another front, does the Lubegard biotech product really deteriorate over time, or is it just an arbitrary number.
 
Messages
4,789
Location
NJ
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Ram02
Can't blame Rockauto their suppliers they gotta get rid of there old products sitting there first.
No, their suppliers need to do better inventory control, dispose of products when applicable, and write off the loss.
Guess this is how they dispose of old stock.
 
Messages
3,924
Location
SW Ohio
Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Ram02
Can't blame Rockauto their suppliers they gotta get rid of there old products sitting there first.
No, their suppliers need to do better inventory control, dispose of products when applicable, and write off the loss.
Guess this is how they dispose of old stock.
"Like"
 

djb

Messages
776
Location
Los Gatos CA
I wouldn't worry too much about the expiration date. Rockauto is always a dice roll. Consider anything you buy from them as-is. It's probably ancient stock from a closed warehouse. Even if it's unusable or the wrong part, they'll refuse a return. Build that into your buying decision: only buy parts from them if it's a really good price, and accept that they work on flea market rules (we have your money, F-you).
 
Messages
4,556
Location
Lima, Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by pbm
A couple of years ago I bought 'Clearance' oil filters from RA that were made in 1994.....many had rust on the baseplate...RA is definitely a crapshoot....
dittto.. not sure exactly how old mine were, but they were a private label filter for a company that went out of business in 97(Big A Auto Parts)...no noticeable rust on mine, but.. the media was fragile. they were listed as wix made, but the date code was old enough it wasn't what they currently use. I had to explain that to their(WIX) CS several times.
Originally Posted by djb
Rockauto is always a dice roll. Consider anything you buy from them as-is. It's probably ancient stock from a closed warehouse. Even if it's unusable or the wrong part, they'll refuse a return. Build that into your buying decision: only buy parts from them if it's a really good price, and accept that they work on flea market rules (we have your money, F-you).
I've only Dealt with their CS twice.. 1) the upper intake manifold gasket(2 pc set) they sent me had one of the right parts, and one wrong. had to run to orielly in the middle of a job... when i let them know the box was labeled right, but had the wrong part inside, they issued a refund in less than and hour(had paid via paypal), and didn't request the old part back.. 2) I ordered 6 qts of MC Mercon LV, received 6 qts of LV, and 6 qts of MCFS 5w30, both boxes had the packing slip and info for my order(showing only the 6 qts of Merc.LV) emailed them, and they quickly sent me paid shipping label to return the oil...dang it...that's what i get for being honest...
 
Last edited:
Messages
9,927
Location
USA
Make sure you buy from their "regular inventory" and NOT "wholesaler closeout" Most regular inventory items are very recent production dates, while the closeouts are usually the old stuff
 
Messages
768
Location
Lynchburg, Va
I ordered some AC Delco spark plugs wires for an 81 Trans Am back around 2015-16. They were dated 1994, still new in the old box. They worked perfectly.
 
Messages
191
Location
USA
When ordering parts for decades-old cars it's not unusual to receive them in faded, dust-coated boxes that had obviously been sitting around for a long time. Depending on the type of part it might or might not be a problem. Rubber parts like brake hoses and suspension bushings would be the worst.
 
Messages
9,823
Location
New England
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Make sure you buy from their "regular inventory" and NOT "wholesaler closeout" Most regular inventory items are very recent production dates, while the closeouts are usually the old stuff
The last closeout stuff I ordered was fine...but came in a "private label package". (Brakes for my wife's Blazer, they were branded Checker Auto Parts.) It's not like they go bad.
 
Messages
9,823
Location
New England
Originally Posted by JasonC
I ordered some AC Delco spark plugs wires for an 81 Trans Am back around 2015-16. They were dated 1994, still new in the old box. They worked perfectly.
I would prefer those to new production...they might not be made in China.
 
Messages
217
Location
Cali, USA
Discount prices tend to come at a cost. RA easily beats most other suppliers for the same product. This isn't because of their buying power, it is because of the quality of the products they stock. Do you go to the dollar store expecting the same level of quality as you would a name brand store for the same product? NO, that is because the dollar store specifically searches suppliers of out of date products, shipping damaged, etc. They don't pay full wholesale for their stock, which means you don't pay full retail for what they sell. RA is no different. Be informed about what you're buying and buy with caution. RA is only interested in the sale, not product quality or customer satisfaction.
 
Top