Rockauto Carquest R84090MP

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other week I get a call from my step dad asking if I could take a look at my step brothers 08 Cadillac CTS 3.6L. He bought it used a couple months ago, and all of the sudden the car starting making a "sewing machine like noise" under load. First thing I asked was was their oil on the dipstick? He said it was completely full on the dipstick. Started driving it, right away it sounded like a sewing machine. I could tell that it was also missing while speeding up. Go to Walmart and check the oil. Well yes its full before wiping the dipstick. After wiping the dipstick and reinserting, no oil
whistle.gif
mad.gif
. Go into walmart buy 2 quarts of Supertech 10w30 and a KN filter oil filter (cheapest one). So I could get it home and change the oil. Put the 2 quarts in and it brings it up just to the LOW level.

Get home change the oil and checked the OLM, it had like 3% left. Put some of my clearance Pennzoil 10W-30 HM Syn and the KN on it. The oil sticker said change the oil 10,000 miles ago, so probably 13,000 OCI. Oil came out darker than crude. Filter came out just fine, no sparkles or sludge.

So I told him to change it every 3k and I would do it for him to save some money (he just had a kid and I think he's still going to school). I bought some of these filters on RA. They came with no box. I looked them up on and I saw that they should be made in Poland not China. So are these actually Carquest/Wix or not?

For next oil change i'm contemplating on using Sam's Club Prime Series 10w-30 as the main oil. Do the 3.6s like 10w-30?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think that caddy will like a 10w-30 more than it'll like a dry dipstick.

Sounds like that engine has a oil consumption issue. Wait for the caddy/gm experts to chime in.

I'd probably try Max life first if it were my car, 5w-30 or 10w-30 wouldn't make a difference this time of year for me.

The "MP" means the filter came in a master pack of 12. Not sure if that filter is a Wix or not, date code indicates it was made in 2017, might be a Mann & Hummel made filter (?). Looks solid enough, though, run one 3K & find out.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
The "MP" means the filter came in a master pack of 12. Not sure if that filter is a Wix or not, date code indicates it was made in 2017, might be a Mann & Hummel made filter (?). Looks solid enough, though, run one 3K & find out.

Ahhh, makes sense then why they didn't come with boxes. Still curious why the Poland made ones come with a metal tube vs Ecore style. I wonder if the MPs are made to be jobber filters for shops.

Originally Posted by JC1
I think that caddy will like a 10w-30 more than it'll like a dry dipstick.

Sounds like that engine has a oil consumption issue. Wait for the caddy/gm experts to chime in.

I'd probably try Max life first if it were my car, 5w-30 or 10w-30 wouldn't make a difference this time of year for me.

Yep it will use it.

OP am I reading it correctly? a 13,000 mile OCI? Sweet Lord. That is an unhappy 3.6. Has he done the timing chain?

Did it quiet up after the oil change? 5000-6000 mile oil changes on that is what he should do. Cheap insurance for that engine. How man miles are on it?

10W-30 will be fine in that thing. Like someone said better than zero oil.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ls1mike

OP am I reading it correctly? a 13,000 mile OCI? Sweet Lord. That is an unhappy 3.6. Has he done the timing chain?

Did it quiet up after the oil change? 5000-6000 mile oil changes on that is what he should do. Cheap insurance for that engine. How man miles are on it?

I have no idea if the timing chain has been done. He bought it used a couple months ago.
It did quiet up a ton after the oil change. It also stopped missing under load. If I remember correctly its right about 120,000 miles. I believe its also leaking oil out the rear main. I know its leaking coolant out the pump.

I bet it is going to need a timing chain, that could be the miss. Running it like he did is bad for them as they are a known problem area. I wouldn't worry too much about the rear main if it just a seep.

Last edited:
I bet it is going to need a timing chain, that could be the miss. Running it like he did is bad for them as they are a known problem area. I wouldn't worry too much about the rear main if it just a seep.

Even though the miss stopped after the OC?

It is possible. That is bad for the chain.

I just watched this video of them doing the chain replacement. I'm guessing you've done a few before? Are they relatively easy to do for a semi-mechanically inclined DIYer?

I have helped with two. (meaning I did them while my buddies kept me company and drank beer.
smile.gif
)
If you take your time it is not bad. The miss kind of made me think it might be the chain. Did it have any codes.

I have helped with two. (meaning I did them while my buddies kept me company and drank beer.
smile.gif
)
Did it have any codes.

11.gif

Surprisingly no codes.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
smile.gif
)
Did it have any codes.

11.gif

Surprisingly no codes.

Well that is good, just keep an eye on it and make sure he changes the oil...at least you know every 13,000 miles...:)
laugh.gif

I bought some of these filters on RA. They came with no box. I looked them up on and I saw that they should be made in Poland not China.

I wouldn't worry about where they came from. An engine running with a Chinese filter is still better than one running without oil.

The oil sticker said change the oil 10,000 miles ago, so probably 13,000 OCI. Oil came out darker than crude.

Pull a valve cover. I'm guessing it looks a little something like this.

[Linked Image]

Your filters are Carquest filters, but they're the Red version, which is their bulk low cost offering for oil change shops and the like. For comparison purposes a Wix is equal to a Napa Gold, a Carquewt Red is equal to a Napa SIlver. Still a decent filter for a 5k OCI. Also, if the miss went away when you got it full of oil, there's a pretty high likelihood it was sucking air into the cam phasers and was unable to control the timing. He needs to stick to a 5k interval unless hes going to check the oil, GM's oil life "monitor" is crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back