Road Trip Items to Bring?

If you're not in a hurry to get back, take US 93 South to Ely from Wendover, and then take US 50 across to Reno--"the loneliest road in America." Great Basin NP is near Ely, too, if you're interested in that. There are several points of interest across 50, just enough to get you out and stretch your legs. Petroglyphs, Pony Express, and a few little towns.

I'm not sure how bad the smoke is across the middle of Nevada, though.

Better to be prepared than not. Just a recommendation.
Sounds like a lot of trouble to be compliant in all the states that you may go through as each one has a different set of laws. And if there's one that doesn't allow it, then there's no point bringing one.

A compass, paper maps and or big map books, sleeping bags that are the proper size for each person, twice as much water as you think you will ever need, a CB set that plugs into 12 Volt power plug (at night a CB can reach out a distance when cell phones are not within range of any towers), a GPS unit that is NOT part of a cell phone, extra big shade hats, SPF 50 sun-screen lotion, (very important sunglasses and even an extra pair), TP, what ever kind of snack bars the people going along like (Rx bars such as coconut chocolate and Kind bars such as caramel almond & sea salt are good), a propane stove, propane bottles and lighters, caned food, a pot, a can opener, knifes forks spoons plates, salt, peanut butter and bread. I do not know how many people are going along, but if the number of people are more than would be able to sleep in the cab of the truck in sleeping bags, than also bring a tent, mosquito-repellant, a shade tarp with poles ropes and long pegs.

A kinetic recovery rope incase you go off road and find yourself in a sand trap. See Matts offroad recovery Youtube channel for many entertaining examples of what this rope is and how it works.

not to be the safety nanny, but I would include some sort of High Viz clothing item( vest, suspenders, jacket, etc) b/c can't be too careful on the side of the road.
I bought these a few months back, as i will occasionally need to wear something high viz @ work, and the supplied vests are "one size fits everyone but me"... (I take a 4xl shirt)

and as most of the other folks have harped on. WATER. WATER. and MORE WATER. a couple gallons for 2 people should suffice. and you should be able to at least refill a couple gallon jugs in most areas that remotely resemble civilization.

Wife and I take trips quite frequently.

We bring a couple camp chairs and throw them in the back with a cooler with sodas/waters and some fruit, or some snacks.

We have had to use the camp chairs numerous times because some restaurants wont let you eat inside, we instead order to-go and set up camp chairs on the beach.

Had some great coconut shrimp with mango cole slaw in corpus christi a couple weeks ago, went to a nearby park and had lunch and watched birds.

With all the smoke in the air from the fires there is the very real possibility that there may be enough particulate mater in the air to clog your air cleaner. I know that since usually air-cleaners on engines and for the cab of the vehicle are something that last at least a year and usually a couple of years, that you never think that you can get into an area where they will be used up in one day, but it can and sometimes does happen.

I once traveled by car to fix the a locomotive at a strip-mine in Kentucky and that mine had big coal trucks going up and down dirt roads of the local mountains and kicking dirt up into the air big time. The air in that area including the local small town that I stayed at over-night was literally brown. When I left that area I stopped at the first gas station and bought a new air-filter for the car. I had to scoop the dirt out of the air cleaner by hand, and then used up several wet paper towels to clean the air cleaner before it was decent enough to put the new air-filter in. That gas station must sell a lot of air cleaners because how bad the dirt in the air was in that strip-mine area.

Anyhow, with all the fires out west, air cleaners for vehicles will be hard to find in those states. You should bring two extra for the engine, and two extra for the cabin, and look on YouTube on how to change the air-filters on your vehicle before you go, so you know where they are and how to do them. Sometimes the cab air filter is hidden. It may be easy to do, but you have to know where it is. If you do not use them, you will have them for the future. They are not much extra weight to carry in the truck, and since it is a new truck, you will eventually use them if you do not need them on the trip.

Engines draw in a lot of air, and the more work the engine does the more air it sucks in. The engine in a truck will draw in a lot of air in a day of driving, and if that air has a lot of particulate in it then the air-filter could get used up in a short amount of time.

Last edited:
Pilots file a flight plan and if they do not show up at there destination when they should, then a search team is sent out to search and rescue them.

Before you travel any long sections of road where it will be probable that cell phone coverage will not cover the entire route, you should contact someone reliable and tell them where you are, where you are going, and when you will get there, and when you will be getting to an area that you will be able to call them, and of course call when you get there. And of course they should be told that if you do not call them, they should call you on your cell phones, and if you do not call, and they can not reach you, then they should know that in that case they are to contact the police and or ( park rangers if applicable ) and tell them your travel plans, and to please look for you.

It is OK to travel and stay at sections where there is no cell-phone coverage for a couple of days, as long as the number of days is included in the plan with the reliable person, and you have enough food and water for those days and a couple of extra. But there should be a known time period when you will again be in contact, and if you miss that check-in then they should initiate the search.

I have a good friend who went to California for a while and stayed with some people she knew there. While she was there they went on a trip that included some travel in a hot remote area. There vehicle began to over-heat. The driver popped the hood release so the hood opened a small amount to scoop air into the engine bay, and rolled down the windows and turned off the air-conditioning of the cab of the vehicle. The extra air into the engine area and the reduction of the amount of heat not coming off the the air-conditioning condenser in front of the radiator made enough of a difference to keep the engine from getting hot enough to not run. She said they were miserable in the heat inside the vehicle even with the windows down and the vehicle moving, but they made it back out of that area.

Just saying....

Conestoga_wagon_on_Oregon_Trail_-_NARA_-_286056_crop.jpg

Back