Rislone Quiets Lifter Tick. What Oil Now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This from science direct,

The extreme pressure additives are sulfured compounds, chlorinated compounds and phosphorus-sulfur derivatives

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by bbhero
No it's not hoss....

Let's ask a REAL person who formulates oils... Like that person on here....

Who has clearly stated.... MoDTC is a friction modifier...

Look up what he has a about it...

Do your reading... Instead of a stupid Google search in 5 seconds...

I'd trust Molakule over a champion like you doing a 5 second Google search... Who just wants to argue... And yet a Google search is not really all that trust worthy...

Did you even read any of the links I provided? In particular, did you read the PDS from Chevron where it states in no uncertain terms that molybdenum is an EP additive?

But hey.. what would they know. You do you..but me, I'm going with Chevron....

Hey instead of your Google skillz...

How about reading what a REAL person who actually makes oils states what MoDTC actually does...
Friction modifier...

Now... Given what burla just stated.... There are many different compounds.... And that molybdenum could be a part of that... I can agree with you on that...

MoDTC actually is a friction modifier in it's application in our oils...

By the way....

I do like Chevron
lol.gif

Last edited:
Ok that well makes sense^^^^

i've shown you numerous examples in support of molybdenum compounds being an EP additive yet you persist in believing something else...you're entitled to your opinion but you're not entitled to your own set of facts.

The fact is...

MoDTC is used as a FRICTION modifier....

Whether you like it or not...

Again... Read what someone who blends oils himself calls that... And this person teaches at a University....

Again... What burla has brought in... Makes sense....

Molybdenum being used in conjunction with other compounds would be a different deal... And I agree with you on that....

MoDTC actually is a friction modifier in it's application in our oils...

By the way....

I do like Chevron
lol.gif

I like Chevron too but here's another article/research paper calling out MoDTC as an EP...so should I believe they're wrong too?

MoDTC - EP Additive

Last edited:
Very much a real possibility...

Yes... I actually believe a real person who has and does formulates oils for sale.... Molakule does just that.... And teaches at a University... I trust him because he works with this type of stuff. He has said on here MoDTC is really a friction modifier... .

And I have done my own 5 second Google searches and found "friction modifier"....

I do think burla made a very good point that this molybdenum can be compounded with other elements to make it function in other ways.. which does make a lot of sense.

Last edited:
Maybe it's both yes? There ya go. That chick molly is a dang chameleon EP and Friction Modifying.

BB...This is interesting...Apparently MoDTC is considered a friction modifier, AW additive and in solid form, an EP additive.

This is a worthy read... written by a chemist and not some schlep in the marketing dept.

MoDTC

Last edited:
Understand this... When I use a word like champ...

It is not meant in a negative or derogatory way...

Don't mean it like that...

I don't mean that in a seriously bad way... Just a way of talking so to speak...

I do sincerely apologise if it came across that way...

I am sorry buddy... I just did not mean that in a bad way... But I don't always think about how it may appear/read to someone else...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by burla
Maybe it's both yes? There ya go. That chick molly is a dang chameleon EP and Friction Modifying.

...‚...‚...‚..yes she is. Dare i say a "trans-additive"?...‚

I don't mean that in a seriously bad way... Just a way of talking so to speak...

It's all good brother.. We can have heated debate and at the end of the day it's all just in the name of oil, something we both obviously share a passion for....

Seems like "moly", depending on it's various forms, can check off one or more boxes.

Last edited:
BB...This is interesting...Apparently MoDTC is considered a friction modifier, AW additive and in solid form, an EP additive.

This is a worthy read... written by a chemist and not some schlep in the marketing dept.

MoDTC

Yeah that is interesting... Good find there man.

It's all good brother.. We can have heated debate and at the end of the day it's all just in the name of oil, something we both obviously share a passion for....

Seems like "moly", depending on it's various forms, can check off one or more boxes.

True indeed man.. true indeed...

Yeah this stuff is very complicated and complex... Which is why I like learning about it... Really stretches your mind...

MoDTC

Yeah I thought so.. pretty straight forward and not too technical where it goes over the head but technical enough to learn a thing or two about moly. When you dive into studying of FM's and AW addys, the different regimes, it can fast get complicated and give you a headache..at least for me....‚

You know one thing too...

And I need to remember this myself much better...

Typing stuff is not always easy... And it is very easy to misread or (mistype like I did) and for things to get a bit wild...I need to be better about that...

Again... I am sorry man...

You are one of the good guys on here... And I know that is true.

MoDTC

Yeah I thought so.. pretty straight forward and not too technical where it goes over the head but technical enough to learn a thing or two about moly. When you dive into studying of FM's and AW addys, the different regimes, it can fast get complicated and give you a headache..at least for me....‚

You know that is the thing...

It's so interesting and complex.. It also causes us to really think in a different way... Pretty neat stuff really.

It's funny.. I've always considered moly as one of those "nice to have" in the oil but you hope you never need it?
Just the mere thought of metal grinding is unnerving.

Last edited:
It's funny.. I've always considered moly as one of those "nice to have" in the oil but you hope you never need it?
Just the mere thought of metal grinding is unnerving.

Yeah, join ram forum and learn about hemi tick, it will literally change what you think about moly. Funny that moly basics that has been here forever was exactly right if you read it, same with schaeffer's moly bible. And perhaps more relevant now then ever, because they keep taking out the protection in oil. So far these "experts" have left moly off the table, but I bet someday they will take that out as well. Despite having lspi quenching ability and stops a lot of ticks. You can read up on amazon all the reviews from all the various moly additives. Something of real note, many times including mine it takes several 100 miles of ticking/knocking before the engine goes silent. Many many testimonials say the same thing, why is that? My theory and I admit I have no proof, the moly plate. It takes TIME, Pressure and heat for the moly to plate, key word time. Anyhow, don't want to harp on it, for guys with lifter tick there is something to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back