RIP Buick Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in China right now. A LOT of Buicks on the road here. Explains the reason why the brand survived when Olds/Pontiac didn't.

Originally Posted by KGMtech
Sedans are all suffering, from all makes. The pendulum will swing back at some point, but it might be 10 years?

Actually, Tesla sells every Model 3 they can make.
As you say, in an overall declining market.

there are better cars for less, so why bother with GM or even Ford!! with everything today you see Globally meaning parts from wherever from the lowest bidder, + it might be assembled in USA. the thousands of lo mile wheel hub assemblies are a testament to that +parts are the biggest cost for todays vehicles, excluding all the robotics that are fun or fed by fewer overpaid auto workers, but not as OVERPAID as the CEO's that do little. girlfriend wanted another GM after two good VW's + a poor subaru, her new in 13 2.5LS malibu was an oil burner among other other issues, NO more GM's!!

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Sad because it's a very nice car no one seems to buy.

To me, the most recent "very nice" car that no one seemed to buy was the Chevy SS/Pontiac G8 GT&GXP. If you were to look at the classic American archetype of the family sedan that also kept "Dad" feeling like he wasn't obsolete, that platform checked almost all the boxes. Good looks (albeit a little soft on the SS), tons of available power and options, handled well, rode very well (especially with the magnetic dampers in the SS), decent fuel mileage, etc... the list goes on, but the sales never did. Now GM went and killed Holden altogether, so we'll likely never again see an American sedan of its ilk...
frown.gif

Not surprised, and not upset about it. The TourX is great ride for anyone wanting a comfortable riding wagon. It will be a future classic maybe?

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Sad because it's a very nice car no one seems to buy.

To me, the most recent "very nice" car that no one seemed to buy was the Chevy SS/Pontiac G8 GT&GXP. If you were to look at the classic American archetype of the family sedan that also kept "Dad" feeling like he wasn't obsolete, that platform checked almost all the boxes. Good looks (albeit a little soft on the SS), tons of available power and options, handled well, rode very well (especially with the magnetic dampers in the SS), decent fuel mileage, etc... the list goes on, but the sales never did. Now GM went and killed Holden altogether, so we'll likely never again see an American sedan of its ilk...
frown.gif

GM made a few of those in the 2000s if you include the SSR. The SSR even had a manual trans available!

Originally Posted by dareo
Not surprised, and not upset about it. The TourX is great ride for anyone wanting a comfortable riding wagon. It will be a future classic maybe?

The Magnum has better chance to be future classic imo.

Sedans are all suffering, from all makes. The pendulum will swing back at some point, but it might be 10 years?

Mercedes and BMW don't seem to have any problems selling them. Neither do Toyota or Honda.

And thus Buick finally becomes another brand that doesn't build even one vehicle I'd consider owning.

Originally Posted by sopususer
I hope all these axing of sedans by Ford and GM doesn't come back to bite them in the butt when and if gasoline prices begin to rise.

Don't worry

It will,

gas prices go up high enough and year old pickups can be had for $9999

It's amazing how quickly people's tastes can change when money is involved

Just gotta wait it out.

I've really like the Buicks of the last decade, so much that I bought a 2011 Regal. That was a great car, really solid build quality. I've wanted a LaCrosse for a while, but it just hasn't happened.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Mercedes and BMW don't seem to have any problems selling them. Neither do Toyota or Honda.

Camry has been down the last few years, despite being ALL NEW:
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/toyota-camry-sales-figures/
So is Corolla:
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/toyota-corolla-sales-figures/

Accord down too:
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/honda-accord-sales-figures/
Civic, same story:
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/honda-civic-sales-figures/

Here's the US car Sales so far this year:
https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2019-us-passenger-car-sales-figures-by-model/

Most cars are tanking from all manufacturers.

GM quality is still hit and miss they need to downsize even more and focus on producing quality not 3-4 of the same vehicle with different badges. Their 2.xL 4 cylinders are destroying themselves very quickly internally and externally. AFM in their V8's is destroying the bulletproof LS reputation. Paint is peeling off......

Ford dropped all but Mustang for all SUV line up, so not so shocking. Stating the obvious, it's all about the bottom line, and the market determines what gets made and what doesn't. 12% Buick sales I'm guessing GM figuring easily made up with all SUV line up. C'est la vie.

I really like the looks of the Tour X and have seen them here on BITOG and wanted to see one in person to check out but no luck. None of the dealers near me have one. I went to the LA auto show and figured I would see one but nope, all they had was the SUV things they make and mostly made in China. Pretty sad really as I have had Buicks over the years and they were good cars but I think they are certainly going the way of Pontiac, Olds, Saturn and will just be a footnote soon.

Originally Posted by morepwr
I really like the looks of the Tour X and have seen them here on BITOG and wanted to see one in person to check out but no luck. None of the dealers near me have one. I went to the LA auto show and figured I would see one but nope, all they had was the SUV things they make and mostly made in China. Pretty sad really as I have had Buicks over the years and they were good cars but I think they are certainly going the way of Pontiac, Olds, Saturn and will just be a footnote soon.

One does not simply walk into a local dealership for a TourX. The mythical wagon requires a journey across state lines. If you love wagons, its well worth the leg work. With the VW Sportwagen and the TourX going away there wont be much left. Maybe Subabu?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dareo
Originally Posted by morepwr

One does not simply walk into a local dealership for a TourX. The mythical wagon requires a journey across state lines. If you love wagons, its well worth the leg work. With the VW Sportwagen and the TourX going away there wont be much left. Maybe Subabu?

People who go after VW Sportwagen across state lines are hardly going to be satisfied with Subabu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back