RIP Buick Regal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
I'll probably get stones tossed at me but GM should just have Chevrolet and Cadillac. Let the other brands wither. I know sentiment is strong but these vehicles are all the same except for the name badge and a few minor details.

The usual marketing scheme in America is to have three levels of product: economy, mid-range, and luxury. And people are used to that. So I think GM does need something in between Chevy and Cadillac. It used to be Oldsmobile, which when I owned my two were a good compromise between the lowest level and the top. Now it should be Buick.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
I'll probably get stones tossed at me but GM should just have Chevrolet and Cadillac. Let the other brands wither. I know sentiment is strong but these vehicles are all the same except for the name badge and a few minor details.

The usual marketing scheme in America is to have three levels of product: economy, mid-range, and luxury. And people are used to that. So I think GM does need something in between Chevy and Cadillac. It used to be Oldsmobile, which when I owned my two were a good compromise between the lowest level and the top. Now it should be Buick.

Yeah, I was sad when GM axed Oldsmobile. At the time, I thought Olds had the best lineup of cars at GM. But Buick was saved because it was the 3rd-best selling nameplate in China, which GM was looking at as the major growth market for the future. During GM's heyday, the nameplates went down in luxury from Cadillac to Buick to Oldsmobile to Pontiac to Chevrolet. So when GM took out Olds, they lost the middle nameplate in the set. Buick was always regarded as the old man's car, and they haven't really tried to get away from that.

Pontiac should have been kept,

15216730-1970-pontiac-firebird-trans-am-std.jpg

1514 Regals sold in Q4 2019, a drop of 51% from 2018 Q4. Only 10k units all year sold. Estimates put about half of the regals sold as the TourX wagon model. Not very many sales at all. They sold 23k Blazers in Q4 by comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back