Rio Tinto looses radioactive material in Australian Desert

And nowadays, the badges aren't even required any more, at least not for the last 8 or ten years here. May be different in different states. Oh, we still have the badges, their use is optional. So one one uses them. We also keep a badge in the storage rooms with the gauges and in the rooms upstairs above them.

We have more of those gauges than anyone in the state of Illinois, and I bet we're in the top ten nationally.
My experience was almost 20 yrs ago. ;)

The Wikipedia page of Caesium-137 is an interesting read with a number of incidents described. One of them involved a 8mmx6mm specimen that ended up in the concrete of an apartment building in the Ukraine... Between when the apartment building was built and the discovery of the specimen, 4 residents died of leukemia, and 17 others had received varying doses of radiation...

Again, properly shielded and handled, a nothingburger... Handled improperly, potentially another story... though the odds of it being picked up in this scenario are arguably low.

Almost wonder if "commercial" type stuff wouldn't detect it and they might want/need to use something that our governments have, i.e. much more sensitive. I don't mean this in any secret or conspiracy way either.
Nope, each decay event is countable with both cheap and expensive equipment. There's no way to increase the sensitivity without bringing in all the background noise.

We avoided a Broken Arrow.
It was in Australia so it's a Broken Boomerang.
And nowadays, the badges aren't even required any more, at least not for the last 8 or ten years here. May be different in different states. Oh, we still have the badges, their use is optional. So one one uses them. We also keep a badge in the storage rooms with the gauges and in the rooms upstairs above them.

We have more of those gauges than anyone in the state of Illinois, and I bet we're in the top ten nationally.

Given that it was on our media, the case was made that havining posession of the source would be equivalent to 10 xrays per hour...(I know of a few dropped sorucesover my lifetime)....
We as a society are deathly, and unwarrantedly scared of radiation...

The ''Cobalt 60 Case'' in Taiwan gives an opportunity for check of the thesis of radiation hormesis. Apartment residents have been exposed to cobalt-60 contaminated steel buildings. The results of a study strongly suggest that whole-body chronic irradiation, in the dose rate range that the apartment residents received, caused no symptomatic adverse health effects, such as radiation sickness, or the increased cancer or increased congenital disease that are predicted by ICRP theories. On the contrary, those who were exposed had lower incidences of cancer mortality and congenital malformations.

Back