ring terminals - really?

so i'm installing a hayden fan temp relay and had some questions.

first of all why do they have butt connectors already installed on every single wire? the red power wire wouldn't need a butt connector, cuz wouldnt someone usually just bolt it to the battery with a ring terminal? same goes for the ground, wouldn't someone just ring terminal it to the chassis somewhere? not a big deal, but i'm guessing some decided this was the best way to do it, so just kinda curious if anyone could think of some ideas.

second, why is it so difficult to find a ring terminal for a 10-12 gauge wire, that has a LARGER ring terminal? the 10-12 gauge ring terminals that i find in my cheap harbor freight kit has small "rings" that will only allow me to stick something like a m5-m6 bolt through the ring. isnt this something that is commonly needed?

thanks, and hopefully that made sense.

Battery terminals are subject to severe corrosion and Harbor freight isn't the best place to buy quality parts.

Stick to brands like Panduit, Burndy or AMP for those types of connectors. The Chineseium from China Freight are cheap junk and do not hold up to vibration and other factors as well. You won't see China Freight connectors used on commercial/industrial jobs.

Go to an electrical supply house . But be prepared to purchase a box . Be prepared , quality like 3M / Scotch will not be cheap . Or maybe , go to an automotive parts store .

How many do you need and what size wire and ring ? I probably have some I can send you .

Go to the hardware section of Lowe's or Home Depot. Lots to choose from.

My local hardware store usually stocks everything I need. Some times I do have to resort to online ordering from Digi-Key.

I think I've seen 3M at Walmart of all places. Home Depot has a selection too.

I have a box of the HF ring terminals and they seem ok. Radio Shack ones struck me as junky. But I much prefer the 3M's. Not sure what crimp tool I have but it was mid range and seems to get the job done.

Originally Posted by doitmyself
Boating stores like West Marine usually have high quality terminals also.

Ancor is the top of line line in boating electrical connectors.

NAPA and West Marine are my only local sources for quality terminals needed in a pinch. Though I've built a nice assortment for most tasks, including 3M, Anchor, FTZ and Raychem.

If I had a dollar for every Sta-Kon terminal that I squeezed , I would be retired on my own island right now .
05.gif

Back