Rim scratch

I recently had a set of rear tires replaced on a two year old car. When I picked up the car, I noticed some white soapy residue on the rubber of the tire and part of the rim. No big deal so I went on my way.

I washed the car a few weeks later and found out it wasn't soap on the rim. It had two large prominent scratches between one half and three quarters of an inch on one spoke of the wheel.

I now know why the installer responded to my question on when should i come back for a rotation with "after 50,000 miles". I am pretty sure he doesn't want to see me ever again.

I have sent an email to the tire shop and they have not yet responded.

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I expect them to replace or repair it? The rim is not cheap and I am not happy about it.

Yep, happened to me twice. Two different vehicles and two different companies.

As you said, the grease or whatever they use when mounting the tire covered the scratches so it wasn't obvious until cleaned off.

You need to go back up there and show them the damage.

I really don't think an email is the proper way to handle this. I would go to the shop and calmly explain the situation and ask how it can be resolved. To be honest you might be SOL.

Just my $0.02

Should I expect them to replace or repair it? The rim is not cheap and I am not happy about it.
You should learn to live with it, as that's the most you'll get out of this transaction. Move on, it's not worth the aggravation or mental strain thinking about it.

So we should pay to repair or just forget about someone's incompetence that damaged your property? Unfortunately it was noticed weeks after it happened. Likely SOL.

I take photos of the wheels before the car goes in and also get someone from the shop to do a walk-around with me to confirm no existing damage. Discount Tire damaged a wheel they couldn't dispute because of doing this. I got a nail in a tire on the RAV4 and took the wheel off and delivered it for repair to an indy shop with a good rep near work. They put gouges in the aluminum wheel that the owner tried to dispute until I showed him photos of the wheel before I dropped it off. Got a refinished wheel out of that. I think the problem is the average car owner doesn't care or doesn't know enough to look so the workers get away with being careless until it's SOP. Some of us take care of our cars and expect them not to be damaged.

I have photos immediately before. I sent those plus the one afterwards to them. Of course, they never mess up like this on my old cars I care less about. I will follow up with them in person.thanks for the input from all of you.

Happy to report I just had 5 new wheels put on the Jeep and the wheels are perfect and the balance is spot on. Was referred to a small indie tire/alignment shop 15 miles away that I would have never gone to. The owner and helper are a little rough around the edges but know their business and have good equipment. Professionals are out there but you have to find them.

Update: The shop replaced my rim with a brand new aftermarket. They didn't know how the scratch occurred as it was in the middle of the rim which according to them is unusual. That was nice of them to replace it. Good thing I had photos to support my claim.

Back