Review: 2019 VW Passat Wolfsburg 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
After 2500 miles, here are my initial thoughts.

Cons:
The 1st to 2nd shift programing is ridiculously quick. Your into 2nd gear at 10mph.

Holagen lights on a 2019 is a weak spot. HID or LED should be mandatory on every vehicle now. Just my opinion.

The sound from the 2.0T EA888 at wide open throttle isn't all that pleasing. Our 2.0T Santa Fe Sport sounds much more refined.

The fuel filler door needs a few wacks to finally lock after fueling up.

I will need to get used to the plastic oil drain plug.

Pros:

Solidity reigns throughout. How the doors close, the shifter clicks into position and overall build is rock solid. Even the center arm rest/console is firmly set. There are no rattles in this car whatsoever.

Steering is a dream. A little light but plenty of feedback. The handling is that of a focused driver's car if not "sporty".

The interior materials are top notch. I actually prefer the leatherette to Genuine leather. The seats are comfortable and supportive.

Night time control illumination is a godsend. Even at the brightest setting, the colors and displays are legible and unobtrusive.

The passenger and storage space is quite generous. I've had gentlemen over 6ft sit one behind the other and they've been quite comfortable.

MPG is decent since most of my driving is city...26mpg.

The EA888 2.0T feels much more powerful than the rated 174HP / 184FT Lbs torque. It pulls well and the claimed 7.9 0-60 seems about right.

Originally Posted by wemay

Cons:
The 1st to 2nd shift programing is ridiculously quick. Your into 2nd gear at 10mph.

Wouldn't this depend on the gas pedal/throttle position? What is the RPM in 1st gear when the shift to 2nd takes place? If you floor it, I'm guessing it will reach much higher RPM (and speed) before it shifts to 2nd.

But in general, in leisurely driving, I think lots of auto transmissions shift out of 1st gear very early. 1st is basically just to get moving. It's no different in my Charger and in wife's Q5. The Charger can actually be in 3rd gear when rolling at 10 mph.

Thanks for the review. Are you happy with it overall?

First gear anymore is just to get moving. I find my Mazda is in third gear before I cross the street from a stop.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Cons:

Wouldn't this depend on the gas pedal/throttle position? What is the RPM in 1st gear when the shift to 2nd takes place? If you floor it, I'm guessing it will reach much higher RPM (and speed) before it shifts to 2nd.

But in general, in leisurely driving, I think lots of auto transmissions shift out of 1st gear very early. 1st is basically just to get moving. It's no different in my Charger and in wife's Q5. The Charger can actually be in 3rd gear when rolling at 10 mph.

You have to floor it to get it to stay in first for high revs. Normal driving? You barely see 1st.

Originally Posted by PimTac
First gear anymore is just to get moving. I find my Mazda is in third gear before I cross the street from a stop.

I agree.

You have to floor it to get it to stay in first for high revs. Normal driving? You barely see 1st.

Yup. I would say that's normal and quite typical of most modern auto trans units.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
How about some pics?

Scott

Screenshot_20200128-121611_Samsung Internet.jpg

Originally Posted by PimTac
It looks lavender. Probably the light. Is it silver?

Ha! Yes, silver. I believe the Fall, dusk, sky color is influencing the pic.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Extremely! There is nothing about this car I really dislike. I just wanted to share the highs and respective (nitpick) lows. I couldn't be happier.

"The sound from the 2.0T EA888 at wide open throttle isn't all that pleasing. Our 2.0T Santa Fe Sport sounds much more refined."

Yeah, it does sound like a small Mitsubishi Diesel engine.

Does it have the S mode for the transmission? That will delay the upshifts. You can also buy reprogram tune if it bothers you enough.

I had a 2015 TDI and loved it. I put 65k miles on mine in 2 years and 3 days from time of purchase to buy back.
Solid is right. I dont know how they do it but they are solid feeling cars and the back seat leg room is nice. I too like the leatherette seat covering as it doesnt crack or wrinkle like true leather and cleans up easily.
As for the plastic drain plug I've never touched mine on the EA888 in my Audi. With filter/dipstick/oil cap within inches of each other I've done topside only and can change my oil in 15 minutes and never get dirty.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Does it have the S mode for the transmission? That will delay the upshifts. You can also buy reprogram tune if it bothers you enough.

Yes, it does. It was more noticeable the first few days of ownership but doesn't bother me.

Originally Posted by dbias
I had a 2015 TDI and loved it. I put 65k miles on mine in 2 years and 3 days from time of purchase to buy back.
Solid is right. I dont know how they do it but they are solid feeling cars and the back seat leg room is nice. I too like the leatherette seat covering as it doesnt crack or wrinkle like true leather and cleans up easily.
As for the plastic drain plug I've never touched mine on the EA888 in my Audi. With filter/dipstick/oil cap within inches of each other I've done topside only and can change my oil in 15 minutes and never get dirty.

That may be an option I seriously consider. I agree, I love this VW thus far.

I also have a 2019 Passat Wolfsburg edition and basically concur in all of Wemay's comments. The first gear is a bit quirky but livable. I do get about 41-43 mpg on the highway at 65 mph with Exxon midgrade. The Budack engine does make for some noise at times, particularly under heavy throttle but I think that is due to the way the valve train operates. I love the car. Would buy another in a heartbeat. This is my second Passat and I had the first one, a diesel, for over 7 tears with never any warranty work except the diesel retune to get the big bucks from VW. The 2019 has not been in for any warranty work as yat at just over 5000 miles but then I would not expect to be! My 2017 Alltrack just hit 27,000 miles at 37 months of ownership. No warranty work on that either and it runs like a dream. It will deliver 37 highway with the 1.8 engine.

Same thing with our 2017 Jetta in signature -- shifts from 1st to 2nd at merely if 10mph. Car still feels as solid as the day we brought it home new.

You can buy a brand new '19 Alltrack S starting at around $21k with the manual and $22K with the auto. A bargain with the 7/72 near bumper to bumper warranty. That 1.8t feels much more powerful than you would think imo. I'm still thinking about buying one while they are still available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back