Restoring an old car...

Here's a few from back in January when I pulled it out of the barn.

DSC05441 - resized.JPG

DSC05443 - resized.JPG

DSC05442 - resized.JPG

Ideally you could get it up on a lift to inspect the bushings, suspension and steering system parts. Replace those that are either visibly worn or have more movement than they should have.

Not to put a damper on things, but even when its running like a top it will be way behind as far as safety goes. Current vehicles have many air bags and they do keep people from dying.

I
Not to put a damper on things, but even when its running like a top it will be way behind as far as safety goes. Current vehicles have many air bags and they do keep people from dying.
I think based on the OP’s post, this is a labor of love/sentimental project. Don’t think from the description he’s planning on DD’ing it or putting big mileage on the thing.

I would have it checked by a good mechanic. Only about $100 and will tell you specifically what is OK and what needs replacing.

I would have it checked by a good mechanic. Only about $100 and will tell you specifically what is OK and what needs replacing.
Just make sure it's someone who will actually look at it and who works on older vehicles. A lot of shops will say they don't deal with vehicles that old, or they'll just quote every Wynn's or BG service they have without really looking at it. If you're going to deal with a shop at all on something like this, you probably want to have a relationship with them, give them time to work on it, and be able to point them in the direction you want to go/do some of your own diagnosis. The shop my trucks go to when I don't want to do it has about a two week wait just to get in, and I'm their GM parts hotline. I don't tell them to diagnose EVERYTHING on a 25+ year old truck, I just tell them what I want addressed that visit, hand them the keys and go from there. They have done top notch work on my 26 year old Explorer.

If it's not running and moving then it's more than $100 to have a shop to look at it--have to get it there somehow, and I have to wonder if a shop really wants to deal with an inspection on a vehicle that may have a mile long list of work that they likely won't be doing--all the while having to push it around.

I'd get it running and moving, and fix what is obvious, then maybe wander over to a shop for a final safety check (if not required for legal reasons already).

An update. I went ahead and replumbed the fuel system with a new pump, feed and return lines, new filter, and new injectors. I'm pretty sure the new pump I got is defective though. It turns on, hums, but pumps no fuel whatsoever.

I changed the oil in it. That old oil looked awful. I took a sample of it that I'll send to ALS because why not? It's been sitting for 4.5 years and not clue how long before that when the last oil change was so I'm curious.

The oil I put in is a 50/50 blend of Havoline High Mileage Syn-Blend 5w-30 and High Performance Lubricants HP SAE 30 flush oil which is 100% ester. I'm also sending in a VOA of the flush oil to see how it looks. I put on a Fram PH3682 and will run that for ~1500 miles to clean this thing up. It looks pretty bad under the valve cover.

IMG_07112020_202614_(1980_x_1980_pixel).jpg

I had an uncle who back in the early 1990s had a business in a rural state where he kept convenience stores stocked with do-dads and stuff (sunglasses, ect.). He drove the wheels off a Nissan just like the OP's truck. He had the engine replaced with an imported Japanese crate engine at ~600K. I think he had to get a new rear end put in not long after that, IIRC. It was definitely a good runner.

Every time I drive a newer vehicle (like my fiances 2013 Sonata, her parents 2011 Equinox, my parents new 2019 ford Edge, or even the 2010 Taurus it replaced) I feel like I can't see past the blind spots (a pillars that are ginormous to fit the air bags in) I wonder how many accidents might not have happened because people could see better. I know people commonly use the modern safety features as an excuse to spend huge monthly payments on modern vehicles, which will inevitably have to he replaced in another 8 years by another more modern model. Vehicles are getting like cell phones lately. There are upsides and downsides to everything obviously.

Last year I fixed up a 1993 Mustang LX with 30k actual miles, it had been sitting in a garage since ‘95. I did tires, belts and hoses, all the fluids and filters, brake pads, rotors, calipers and wheel cylinders. It’s given me no trouble since.

I would do all the maintenance items to get everything current and then thoroughly go over the brakes and cooling system. If it has a hydraulic clutch, flush out the fluid.

The new pump was indeed defective. Got it replaced and the new new one works great. I started this truck up for the first time in nearly 5 years this afternoon. Now to start chasing the vacuum leaks... then the tie rod ends and ball joints... then the brakes and lines... then all of the fluids... ugh...

I did a compression test on it this afternoon. On a cold engine, it cranked over 135 / 136 / 135 / 136. Impressively consistent, but all 4 plugs have oil on them. I'll have to look into that issue.

Back