Restore Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas

Phishin, do you have pre-Restore compression readings? Your empirical evidence of reduced oil consumption in itself is enough but the change in compression will corroborate better running of ht engine.

Sure do. I'll have to find it, but if my memory serves me right, Cylinder #1 was 105psi, and #2-8 was between 140-150. I also have the leak down test results as well.

But I have actual numbers in my log book.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin

Of course, I expected to hear the AutoRx cheerleaders give their victory cry. I get tired of the AutoRx pollution in every thread too in this sub-forum, but it just digs them deeper into the grave, I think. Makes them look desperate.

Turnabout is fair play they say. Every ARX thread gets the same pollution from all thsoe who don't like the product/creator. Makes them look even more desperate. Especially when they make claims like "The company is failing.", but have no proof. Or how they claim long time members are shilling it.

But I digress. Leaving aside the fact I myself haven't used the product for a long time, it worked where everything else, mmo/rislone/restore, failed. I have to wonder why you keep coming up with excuses trying to explain away what I saw.

It has been lamented by some how people are not allowed to discuss oil adds whether they worked or not. So, why are you trying to stifle such?

It worked for you, you say. Good, I'm happy for you. It didn't work for me. It didn't do what it claimed it does.

If you're going to complain about how people post that it doesn't work, and with nothing approaching the malice the latest arx threads draw, then one can make the case that you're promoting a non sponsor product. Which will get this thread locked.

No oil add works for everyone.

Originally Posted By: Trajan

Yep, that was my point too. No malice from me. AutoRx worked for you for some unknown reason and Restore worked for me for some unknown reason. We're equal.

I wasn't bashing AutoRx. Never have. I was just commenting how I knew someone would come into my "Restore Thread" with a plug for AutoRx...and it doesn't really bother me. Honestly. I'm glad I can go to any store, buy a can for $8-$9 and have my truck run so much better for the next 5k miles. I like that.

I'm glad I can go to any store, buy a can for $8-$9 and have my truck run so much better for the next 5k miles. I like that.

I wholeheartedly agree. And thanks for posting this thread. It's always good to hear when a product lives up to its claims. And I have no reason not to believe you.
thumbsup2.gif

I will ask once again. So what harm is done if you have to use this $8 product at every oil change?

I will ask once again. So what harm is done if you have to use this $8 product at every oil change?

I'm not sure myself. I used it for four oil changes before I concluded it did nothing worthwhile. According to it's site, you use it at *every* oil change.

I find this curious though:

What about using RESTORE with "High-Mileage" motor oils?
Those types of motor oils are simply higher viscosity oil that cost more money. We recommend using a premium quality conventional motor oil.

Is RESTORE compatible with synthetic oil?
Yes, RESTORE may be used with any type of mineral or synthetic motor oil.

So which is it? Do you use a premium quality conventional oil?

Is that why it didn't work for me? Because I didn't use a premium conventional oil?

If so, then why say you can use it with synth oil?

I'm not sure myself. I used it for four oil changes before I concluded it did nothing worthwhile. According to it's site, you use it at *every* oil change.

Those types of motor oils are simply higher viscosity oil that cost more money. We recommend using a premium quality conventional motor oil.

Is that why it didn't work for me? Because I didn't use a premium conventional oil?

It's similar to Kool-Aid recommending you mix their product with water. Of course you can mix it with vodka, but you won't have quite the same result as if you use it as directed. The point they were making there was that it won't cause problems if you use their product with a synthetic oil, but they recommend using conventional for best results as per their own testing.

As for why it didn't work for you, I'm pretty sure that's been addressed in this thread already. Just in case I'm thinking of another thread or you're too lazy to scroll up and read it again, here it is:

ARX "cleans ring packs" while Restore fills in small scratches in the cylinder walls. If your poor compression was the result of stuck rings, of course a product not intended to address that particular issue is not going to work. Do you put a band-aid on a 6" long cut that's gone clear through to the bone and wonder why it didn't heal, as well? Does that mean band-aids aren't effective? No, it just means maybe what you actually need is a few stitches. Likewise, where ARX wouldn't work in cases where Restore would, stitches would do more damage to the skin than the small types of cuts band-aids are intended to be used on, thus they would not be appropriate in that situation. See what I'm getting at here? They both have their uses and there is little to no overlap between them.

Can we stop this bullsh*t infighting between additives? Just because one works for you doens't mean the others are [censored] and just because one doesn't work for you doesn't make it [censored], either. IF it works for you, you had the issue it was designed to solve, if it doesn't, you didn't. OF course, there are exceptions, and quite a few of them, but in those cases you'll be hard pressed to find anyone saying it worked.

Last edited:

Your just grasping for anything to discredit restore. It comes off as desperate and a little pathetic.

Its full of soft metals so its not something for an engine in good shape. Its just a bandaid to keep you from bleeding out before you get to the Dr. It does it's job

I have never used Restore myself. I am a member of the NRA and I see it advertised in the American Rifleman magazine a lot.

My view is this: If you have an engine in a vehicle that is smoking, using a lot of oil, and not running very well, and maybe close to the auto graveyard, what harm is there in trying Restore? If it will keep an old vehicle on the road for a while, reduce oil consumption (maybe paying for itself right there) and enable a person to get some thousands of miles of additional service then why not use it?

Especially if it costs only about $8.00 a bottle and maybe saves more than that or close to that in reducing oil consumption. Just makes sense to me.

Now I would not use it in a vehicle that was still in decent running condition. But if a car or truck is almost ready anyway to go to the auto graveyard why not?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mystic
I have never used Restore myself. I am a member of the NRA and I see it advertised in the American Rifleman magazine a lot.

My view is this: If you have an engine in a vehicle that is smoking, using a lot of oil, and not running very well, and maybe close to the auto graveyard, what harm is there in trying Restore? If it will keep an old vehicle on the road for a while, reduce oil consumption (maybe paying for itself right there) and enable a person to get some thousands of miles of additional service then why not use it?

Especially if it costs only about $8.00 a bottle and maybe saves more than that or close to that in reducing oil consumption. Just makes sense to me.

Now I would not use it in a vehicle that was still in decent running condition. But if a car or truck is almost ready anyway to go to the auto graveyard why not?

Exactly! It is a specialty product, a difficult concept for some people to grasp.

So according to you it is truly a last ditch effort i.e. try it before junking or overhauling the engine? If the engine still has life left in it, putting Restore will rob its life?

So according to you it is truly a last ditch effort i.e. try it before junking or overhauling the engine? If the engine still has life left in it, putting Restore will rob its life?

It may not shorten the life of a decent-running engine, but it won' do it any good, either. Shades of gray, people.

Last edited:

Yes in some cases it is a last ditch effort. How would putting it in rob life from an engine that has obvious problems? It fills scored cylinder walls in oil in worn or damaged engines, it raises compression if compression is being lost to bad rings and scored cylinder walls. It reduces oil usage in those cases.

If you have none of these problems, why would you use it would be a better question.

Originally Posted By: trajan

Just who is "we"?

What about mixing restore and some ceramic additive together?
Many of the ceramic additives claim to blend with lose metal particles and create a very hard surface on top of the metal.

Wouldn't these copper, silver and lead particles in Restore, react with the ceramic additive, like other metal particles in the oil?

I haven't tried it yet, but I probably will do it.

Just for fun.

Yep, that was my point too. No malice from me. AutoRx worked for you for some unknown reason and Restore worked for me for some unknown reason. We're equal.

I wasn't bashing AutoRx. Never have. I was just commenting how I knew someone would come into my "Restore Thread" with a plug for AutoRx...and it doesn't really bother me. Honestly. I'm glad I can go to any store, buy a can for $8-$9 and have my truck run so much better for the next 5k miles. I like that.

I didn't think you were bashing it. I just wasn't sure why you were pursuing that line of questioning.

No worries, it's all good. If Restore works for you, keep using it
smile.gif

I had a friend that used Restore in an old Snapper ride on lawn mower. The 8 or 10 hp B&S was really on it's last legs, burning oil like crazy.
He said he tried Restore because it had a 'Money back if you are not satisfied' guarantee. It did make the oil burning a little better, for a short time.
But he returned the empty can to Canadian Tire and got his money back all the same.

In the right application, I might give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back