Restore Experiment

Status
Not open for further replies.
The copper and lead in RESTORE will plug your filter in very short order. And the stuff doesn't last very long before symptoms return. But it does work for a while b
Once you get your new engine tear this one apart just to see what the restore did.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Ehh, Restore didn't impress me when I tried it.

Maybe my problems better matched up to what Restore could do vs. whatever you had going on when you tried it. Just a guess tho.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
The copper and lead in RESTORE will plug your filter in very short order. And the stuff doesn't last very long before symptoms return. But it does work for a while b
Once you get your new engine tear this one apart just to see what the restore did.

I don't think it's gonna plug my filter. Particle size is too small. Like MoS2....it passes right through.

And of course, if Restore isn't put in again at the next OC, I expect the benefits to disappear quite rapidly. Looks like I'm stuck buying it.

My aspiration is to use this old motor as an opportunity. I'd like to attempt to rebuild it....never done that before. Always wanted to. This would be my chance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin

Maybe my problems better matched up to what Restore could do vs. whatever you had going on when you tried it. Just a guess tho.

Let's see.

Restore compression is one of the claims. It failed, thus it didn't impress me. ARX did not fail.

It did, however, make the oil more colorful when I drained it.

I don't think it will clog your filter either.

Last edited:

Originally Posted By: Clevy

I don't think it's gonna plug my filter. Particle size is too small. Like MoS2....it passes right through.

And of course, if Restore isn't put in again at the next OC, I expect the benefits to disappear quite rapidly. Looks like I'm stuck buying it.

My aspiration is to use this old motor as an opportunity. I'd like to attempt to rebuild it....never done that before. Always wanted to. This would be my chance.

It worked in a few clunkers I tried it in over the years, not clogged filters either. Problem is when you drain the oil the remaining product isn't enough to maintain the benefits the full dose provided. So in effect your engine becomes addicted to the stuff. But if you have a beater with worn rings and scuffed cylinder walls its just the ticket to keep it on the road a bit longer.

Something to keep in mind with this type of product, it is for engines on their last legs. Engines that cleaners can't help because the rings are worn or the cylinders scored. It is an additive with a very specific purpose.

It has also worked for me in years past. I bought and sold old beaters driving some for a while prior to selling them. Restore was used at each oil change in the oil slurpers and it always worked positively. Consumption and smoke was reduced and the old dogs sounded better and ran better. It's a last ditch effort but it worked for me.

Let's see.

Restore compression is one of the claims. It failed, thus it didn't impress me. ARX did not fail.

Just couldn't resist the hijack could you.

Let's see.

Stuck rings -> ARX
Worn rings and/or scuffed cylinder walls -> Restore

One "cleans ring packs" while the other fills in scratches and scuffs, so it's no wonder one would work where the other failed and there would be little or no overlap in their success stories. [censored], they work so differently that it's even possible that an engine with both stuck rings and scuffed cylinder walls would fail to see improvement with either product but vastly improve by running both; not that I'd ever suggest adding multiple additives.

Originally Posted By: KeMBro2012

One "cleans ring packs" while the other fills in scratches and scuffs, so it's no wonder one would work where the other failed and there would be little or no overlap in their success stories. [censored], they work so differently that it's even possible that an engine with both stuck rings and scuffed cylinder walls would fail to see improvement with either product but vastly improve by running both; not that I'd ever suggest adding multiple additives.

True. But a treatment with Kreen or MMO added to the oil then change it, and a follow up OCI with Restore might do the trick in your example. Running both products at the same time is not a good idea.

A Kreen Piston soak, change the oil and add Restore might be a fast way to get good results too. Beaters can be fun to experiment with.

Demarpaint.....

Why is Restore only for an engine on its last leg? What will it do to my engine if I keep Restore in my oil for the next 5 oil changes/25k miles?

Just wondering....

Last edited:
Demarpaint.....

Why is Restore only for an engine on its last leg? What will it do to my engine if I keep Restore in my oil for the next 5 oil changes/25k miles?

Just wondering....

If you have scored cylinder walls or wear it will help. If your engine is in good shape it will do nothing. An engine with scored cylinder walls, and excessive wear causing burning and blowing oil, is on its last in my opinion. Some people might feel otherwise it is only my opinion. The comment wasn't meant to be offensive. I could have substituted the words "worn engine" with "on its last legs," or used "tired engine" now that I think of it. But I think you get my point.

I'm just curious, have you tried MoS2 in that engine yet?

Let's see.

Omfg! Now your snake oil not only cleans it fills in scored cylinders?
That's complete hog wash.
07.gif

Originally Posted By: electrolover

Omfg! Now your snake oil not only cleans it fills in scored cylinders?
That's complete hog wash.
07.gif

What are you talking about? I never said the Restore did any cleaning. Never. I'm sure Trajan was just talking about the color of Restore. If you would have had any ACTUAL experience with it before spouting off, you would have known that.

But I did make three claims....the first two are absolutely legit and provable based on previous experiences:
1.) After adding Restore, I immediately drove the truck 400 miles down the highway. It burned half the oil it used to burn before adding Restore on this same exact trip.

2.) Driving around town the next 700 miles, I've only burned 1/3 quart. That is a big reduction in oil consumption as well.

3.) Although I have no data to support this, my engine does run A LOT smoother. At idle and going down the road.

I never said it cleaned anything electro. If you read a bit more carefully, you'll see that people were discussing the differences between stuck rings and worn out rings/cylinder walls and how AutoRX and Restore might possible address one of these issues, but not both.

It is possible that your compression was low due to valve problems, not with rings. I don't think Restore could fix a valve problem....like your valves not sealing well. This would cause low compression, but Restore wouldn't help it. But maybe you have all sorts of deposits on your valves and AutoRx cleaned them all up? I don't know. Just a guess.

Last edited:
^^ I think Electro was just having fun that's all.^^ Some members want proof, and consider testimony worthless, yet when asked to back up claims they make with proof, they don't have any. Oh well. I for one believe everything you've said because I had observed similar results. With some of these products all there is, is testimony, you have to take it for what its worth, note the source, and if there is a hidden agenda. Those who want to believe it might benefit if they ever encounter a similar situation. Those who care not to believe it, well it's their loss.

No I just get tired of FM's buddies pushin his garbage in every additive thread. A motor can be absolutely wore out and they come in saying "buy this it works! Nothing else does" and when it doesn't work their answer is always the same "you didn't use it right" or " buy more".

Restore is good at what it does, filling voids until you can get a new engine or new car. But because it rivals an internet only supplied additive that is only advrtised by word of mouth and "testimonials" people feel the need to pollute every additive thread with FM's propaganda

Originally Posted By: electrolover

Trajan said:

It is possible that your compression was low due to valve problems, not with rings. I don't think Restore could fix a valve problem....like your valves not sealing well. This would cause low compression, but Restore wouldn't help it. But maybe you have all sorts of deposits on your valves and AutoRx cleaned them all up? I don't know. Just a guess.

Nope, it was low due to rings. It failed. ARX did not.

Gotcha electrolover.

I agree with you 100%. I never heard much about Restore on here, so that's why I wanted to make a thread about it.

Of course, I expected to hear the AutoRx cheerleaders give their victory cry. I get tired of the AutoRx pollution in every thread too in this sub-forum, but it just digs them deeper into the grave, I think. Makes them look desperate.

Enough people have told me that "ring pack cleaner" doesn't do a darn thing, that I believe them....and most of the others that report success with it, are "anti-additive guys....well, except AutoRx....it really does work".

Anyhow, back to our regularly scheduled program....

Anything more I can report regarding Restore I will.

But I am curious if you all think running Restore in my engine for 5 OC's....for 25k miles will cause it any harm/damage.

Because in actuality, with or without Restore, this engine could die tomorrow or go another 80k miles. Who knows with these old Chevy 350's....and mine's "only" got 180k on it. Although, most of it's life it was abused.

I too want to know the harmful effects of using Restore. In my opinion needing it for every oil change is not harmful effect. Under what condition, would it make things worse than before?

Phishin, do you have pre-Restore compression readings? Your empirical evidence of reduced oil consumption in itself is enough but the change in compression will corroborate better running of ht engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back