Reporting on engine oil additive LG Bio/Tech

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by MolaKule
Originally Posted by racin4ds
Ignore the naysayers on here... they still think oils come off the shelf with top notch additives and can't be improved upon, all for $19 a 5QT jug.....

LG and Archoil are both great products. I also love Lubrimoly M0s2!

I am still waiting for anyone to tell me what chemistry the formulators have left out of formulated, finished oils that require LubeGard BioTech or RLI BioSynXtra or others.

In the case of Lubegard Biotech, it must be that fancy rapeseed oil they put in it.

They don't use Rapeseed Oil. They use a special transesterified version (ester) of rapeseed oil. The LXE ester was developed to replace the Sperm Whale esters used in older ATF's.

And what tests have shown their LXE esters to be superior in friction modification with respect to current FM''s?
Originally Posted by ILI
A new oil may not contain sufficient additives such as ANTI-WEAR agents or ANTI-CORROSION compounds even though it passes all the tests. Furthermore, these protective compounds are depleted when the oil is in service.

What ANTI-WEAR agents or ANTI-CORROSION compound additives are in insufficient quantities in modern finished oils?

Been dosing mine with Lubegard Biotech.Just fill oil filter with it every oil change.
Are you putting the LG in Redline ? I’m thinking of doing that for my new generator … want a super lube since it will be run hard and hot while I’m not home in some cases. (hurricane/T-storm effects). Then leave that oil in for a couple years.
The 457cc takes a hair over a quart … so I can top up the fill and boost the oil …

Well, I am nor a big believer of additives, as I know many are just "snake oil". BUT, if the oil makers/ formulators are using the absolute best chemicals that there are for the oil today, how is it that they are able to keep "improving" the oil specs all the time. A few years back when there best oil were only SL spec, they thought that that was the best there was, and no additive could improve on that I bet. Maybe I don't understand, and I certainly don't understand all the chemistry, But it seems that if the oils of today can't be improved upon, then there will never be another improved version. Again, I firmly believe that MOST additives are just a waste of money.

It is more of a "rising tide lifts all ships" scenario than anything else. New combinations and chemistry are evaluated constantly and specifications are written around those new milestones of performance. So the specifications mirror the performance of improving formulas, they don't write the specifications and then say, "Haha! beat that!" 😀.

Once a higher level of performance can be demonstrated as possible, they will gladly write a specification to get others that might not be there in line with it. There is a ton of money in doing so for someone in the supply chain and the industry pushes for specific changes and updates that will benefit them. Someone is always trying to sell something whether it is a new additive, or a new base oil, or a new test rig, or what-have-you. It forces lube manufacturers to "keep with the times" and not sit on their laurels.

On the flip side, there is benefit to the consumers as well. There is always going to be something new/something better/something never tried before that will unlock a new level of performance in some aspect of the products. Sometimes the specifications are updated to improve the tests rather than the performance because a new test method is designed that better evaluates real world performance than previously used test methods.

Are you putting the LG in Redline ? I’m thinking of doing that for my new generator … want a super lube since it will be run hard and hot while I’m not home in some cases. (hurricane/T-storm effects). Then leave that oil in for a couple years.
The 457cc takes a hair over a quart … so I can top up the fill and boost the oil …

Yes

When I change the oil my engine seems smoother, quieter and peppier as well.

Back