Replacing Screen in Windows

Is there a high quality screen I could use to replace the screens in my Pella windows? Are they all pretty much the same quality?

After 26 years they are looking a little ragged.

Any advice for an old man?

You can pick the color and material for sure. Black, metallic, and then metal or some rubber-like material.

I've also seen some brands claim to have carbon embedded in them for odors, but that's a bunch of marketing BS.

This is one of those funny things that you never think about, then when it's time to rescreen (or better yet replace the whole thing) you find out there are a dozen different screen options, different thickness "splines", a special tool for doing it, etc. I ended up ordering a kit that included frame material and corners and replaced half a dozen in our house. Also replaced a screen door. Saint-Gobain "Adfors" is one of the larger brands for screen. Google 'em and you can see the options.

jeff

I have never paid attention to brand or quality. But, I do have a personal preference for the fiberglass screen instead of aluminum. We have always had an "active" home (pets, etc.) that gets lived in. The fiberglass seems to be more resilient to bumps, scrapes, animal paws, kids, etc..

They sell all sorts of screen materials at Home Depot. When I get lazy, I take them down to Ace Hardware. Usually your local hardware store will replace the screen for you. Last time I did it, it was about $20 a screen. I use the extra heavy due pet proof ones because for whatever reason, the cheap stuff always get destroyed after a couple years.

Not too hard to rescreen yourself once you get the hang of it.
It's easy to drop them off at Ace Hardware and pick them up a few days later. I did that for a few because I needed new frames; the old ones were bent.

I attempted to re-screen some of my frames the year of the bad hail storm that tore 3 screens and broke a window. I could never get it the right "taughtness". It either had too much slack, or it was so tight it deformed the frame. I finally just had new ones made at a window shop and put the old ones in the attic.

Well, I got the screen and the rubber gasket material. I'm gonna go for it. Only got to do 2.

I attempted to re-screen some of my frames the year of the bad hail storm that tore 3 screens and broke a window. I could never get it the right "taughtness". It either had too much slack, or it was so tight it deformed the frame. I finally just had new ones made at a window shop and put the old ones in the attic.
Never really had a problem with that. The thing to do is to use the tool to push the screen into the frame first. Then put the rubber gasket over it. When you push it in first, if there's too much slack, you just adjust it and do it again. You cut the excess with a razor blade that you just run along the side of the rubber gasket.

Back