Replaced HandsFreeLink and now the Clock works? Huh?

So the other day I replaced our beloved '06 TSX HandsFreeLink module with a $40 used one. All good; cell phone interface is back in business.
Well, 2 things have miraculously come back to life:
  1. The clock has been 1 hour off and could not be reset. This seems to be a common Honda thing; dunno for sure. It is now spot on.
  2. The driver side heated seat switch little "On" light would not illuminate. Little twirp now illuminates just fine.
Go figure. I have been taught to not look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll leave it right there.

So the other day I replaced our beloved '06 TSX HandsFreeLink module with a $40 used one. All good; cell phone interface is back in business.
Well, 2 things have miraculously come back to life:
  1. The clock has been 1 hour off and could not be reset. This seems to be a common Honda thing; dunno for sure. It is now spot on.
  2. The driver side heated seat switch little "On" light would not illuminate. Little twirp now illuminates just fine.
Go figure. I have been taught to not look a gift horse in the mouth. I'll leave it right there.

The clock issue should have been related to the GPS programming. It should have been able to be reset back in August. That was when the dates rolled around such that the programming of the Honda stuff could make sense of it. The calendar will still be off though, a minor annoyance to have a good clock. Not sure why yours would have required the BT module to be working.

I got a kick out of all the derps on Honda/Acura forums saying things like 'Honda is going to reprogram the satellite in August and it should work'.

Yea, no, the only reason it 'fixed' is just a really lucky side effect of how they were programmed. Had the stars not aligned and Honda gotten lucky with the programming, pretty much everything from the 2000's would be running around with clocks that didn't work. Honda was never going to put the resources into fixing it.

The clock issue should have been related to the GPS programming. It should have been able to be reset back in August. That was when the dates rolled around such that the programming of the Honda stuff could make sense of it. The calendar will still be off though, a minor annoyance to have a good clock. Not sure why yours would have required the BT module to be working.

I got a kick out of all the derps on Honda/Acura forums saying things like 'Honda is going to reprogram the satellite in August and it should work'.

Yea, no, the only reason it 'fixed' is just a really lucky side effect of how they were programmed. Had the stars not aligned and Honda gotten lucky with the programming, pretty much everything from the 2000's would be running around with clocks that didn't work. Honda was never going to put the resources into fixing it.
Yeah, sometimes you get lucky. By the way, the GPS was never an issue. Just the HandsFreeLink for cell phone use.

Yeah, sometimes you get lucky. By the way, the GPS was never an issue. Just the HandsFreeLink for cell phone use.
Yea, it wasn't the GPS exactly, but the time stream coming down that was confusing the system. Something about an integer overflow or the like. It's been a while since I researched it.

My 06 TL has a bad hands free link module that the prior owner disconnected when I checked it. It causes the battery to drain on the TL because it keeps sending a signal to the ECU even though it’s broken. I was disconnecting and connecting the battery at 1pm to set the correct time. Then one day I was able to set the clock with the head unit.

Back