Replace Bearings in Pairs?

I'll try that tomorrow. I could also put the winter wheels/tires on there for a test drive.

The knuckle does not look bad at all. It cleaned up nice. I think the inside surface is nothing more than casting marks. Without seeing it in person it's hard to tell.

I would recommend putting it up and stands or a lift and inspect all wearable suspension/chassis components. Also motor and transmission mounts. If everything checks out drive it up on ramps and have someone rock steering wheel and push hard on each corner of the car in all directions. Sorry I can't be of more help but vibration issues can be really hard to find.

The main thing is removing weight off of the vehicle then full weight of vehicle when checking.

I have AAA here in CA and it's the best!! You can't beat a good roadside service plan.

Vehicle: 14 Subaru Forester XT
Miles: ~80k
Symptom: Low-pitch humming from the rear that grows louder with vehicle (NOT engine) speed. It sounds similar to having meaty all-terrain tires, though it’s a constant hum.

Tire rotation did not change magnitude nor general location of the noise.

I originally associated the noise with wearing tires, but my wife came back from a road trip recently and I immediately noticed that the noise was something like double the magnitude it was not too long before the trip. Before, wind noise would drown out the bearing noise at highway speeds. Now, the low-pitched hum is obtrusive.

NO change in noise while turning or while driving windy roads.

Tires were rotated again a couple of days ago. No change.

Diagnosis: The noise was confirmed by a trusted mechanic to be a rear left wheel bearing. He recommends that I replace both rear bearings at the same time, though he admitted that I wouldn’t save on labor charges by doing both at the same time.

Questions: should I do both at the same time?

How hard is this job? Unfortunately, I don’t have access to a lift any longer and my garage is on the tight side, which is why I’m willing to shell out $2-300/axle for this job.

Money is a little tight, but we can afford this without issue.

My main concern is that I’m not sure I want to risk fixing what ain’t broke on the other side.

Finally, the shop is letting me supply my own Subaru OE part, since I had a 20% off coupon to burn.

Parts: $290 for two hub assemblies and two axle nuts. Did I miss anything the shop can’t reuse during the R&R???
First wheel bearing replacement on my 05 Silverado was at 270,000kms (around 170k). They replaced the drivers side bearing only. Now it has 320,000kms without doing any more bearings yet, but I probably just jinxed myself.

First wheel bearing replacement on my 05 Silverado was at 270,000kms (around 170k). They replaced the drivers side bearing only. Now it has 320,000kms without doing any more bearings yet, but I probably just jinxed myself.

My 05 GMC Sierra had a hub go out at around 126,000 miles. I did both of them at the same time. Only because it was a cheap and easy fix.

My 05 GMC Sierra had a hub go out at around 126,000 miles. I did both of them at the same time. Only because it was a cheap and easy fix.
I plan to buy a spare from Rock Auto when my savings recoup from the paint and body job...much cheaper than local. I find the wheel bearings expensive because I'm used to my old stuff (repackable wheel bearings that cost much less if they ever do fail). I'm sure once one fails the other is much more likely to fail soon also, but it doesn't always go that way.

I replaced the sensor and the Christmas tree lights are all gone!

What‘s weird is that the display told me to check everything, but never threw a CEL (no codes). Had I not known the speed sensor was borked, and had I just an OBD-2 reader, I’d have been stuck going to the dealer and paying them to tell me what was wrong. Kind of annoying!

Back