Replace 7-year old battery in BMW even though there are no problems?

I have a 2013 BMW 335i xDrive with 101K miles. The Production Date is 03/27/2013 and the In-Service Date is 04/26/2013. It's my daily driver.

I'm still running the original battery and the vehicle has not shown the warning indicating that I should replace it. BimmerApp shows capacity as 91 Ah and state of charge at 56%.

Do you guys think I'm playing with fire if I keep running it until a warning is displayed?

In your region (Michigan), some batteries could last 10 years.

If you lived any further south then 7 years would probably be end of life.

I have a 2013 BMW 335i xDrive with 101K miles. The Production Date is 03/27/2013 and the In-Service Date is 04/26/2013. It's my daily driver.

I'm still running the original battery and the vehicle has not shown the warning indicating that I should replace it. BimmerApp shows capacity as 91 Ah and state of charge at 56%.

Do you guys think I'm playing with fire if I keep running it until a warning is displayed?

AGM or flooded cell?

Even if it cranks over just fine, if you leave it until it starts failing, you’ll start getting strange codes being thrown and odd behavior... like rough running, things not working quite right.

I had a 2008 BMW 535xi, and when my battery was dying due to age, I got all kinds of strange things: check engine light, poor idling, and little things like the trunk button not always working. Swapping in a NAPA “The Legend” battery fixed them all, check engine light included. I sold that car three years back and I occasionally see it (in rougher condition sadly) going down the road. 😎

I listen to the starter when the weather begins to get colder. The first sign of a weak start on a chilly morning is when I change the battery.
In Michigan, I typically get 5-6 years out of a battery in my daily drivers.

My experience in Michigan is that batteries rarely die in summer in your driveway. They always die in the cold, dark, winter, in a parking lot, when you are away from your garage and tools.

AGM or flooded cell?
AGM. I've already researched and shopped replacements. Here is my order of preference.

DieHard Platinum from Advance Auto Parts ($160)
Super Start Platinum from O'Reilly ($156)
Everstart Platinum from Walmart ($170)
Interstate AGM from Costco ($178)
Duralast from AutoZone ($190)
Champion AGM from Pep Boys ($155)

Many of these are probably the same exact battery, manufactured by either EnerSys or Johnson Controls.

At 5 years I'm looking to replace a battery due to age. I'd rather buy one a year early than be stuck trying to get jump started at the most inconvenient time.

AGM. I've already researched and shopped replacements. Here is my order of preference.

Many of these are probably the same exact battery, manufactured by either EnerSys or Johnson Controls.
Find out which battery is manufactured by EnerSys and buy that one. They are far superior to anyone else's AGM.
You will also need to factor-in the expense of having the car's computer reprogrammed to register the new battery. Don't skip this.

I am not sure about EnerSys. But EastPenn makes quality batteries better than Johnson Controls. And Excide is junk if still in business after bankruptcy. And find out if the actual battery you are buying is made by who you think, around here the Wallmart Everstart MAXX is made by EastPenn. But I think in other parts of the country its different.

Of course you need a battery intended to be used in the north part of the country vs Texas (hot).

Of these batteries, the only one that I know is manufactured by EnerSys is the DieHard Platinum. The only other one that I know of is their own brand, Odyssey.

Of course you need a battery intended to be used in the north part of the country vs Texas (hot).
His battery is in the trunk so it doesn't make as much of a difference. It is also the primary reason why it has lasted so long.

Diehard platinum was manufactured by EnerSys.. . No guarantee of that anymore.... 4 plus years ago that was true. I believe that has possibly changed... At Sears stores that sold Diehard brand batteries that were AGM they were made by EnerSys. However East Penn makes the AGM batteries at Batteries Plus that have the Diehard sticker on them....

And at AAP... I'd bet good money that EnerSys is not making those Diehard batteries...

Last edited:
I'd wager that none of the batteries on that list are made by Enersys…none of their price tags start with $2(xx.xx).

Interstate is mainly a Clarios shop; all the ones carrying their brand label sold through Costco almost certainly are.

However, they do draw from other suppliers. The MTZ-48/H6 is one example. A green/white version of the red/black Odyssey ODP-AGM48, and $68 higher SRP than the much more common MTP-48. But they are sold and supported by Interstate dealers, their own channel, not Costco, And it doesn't appear that they spec a larger H7 or H8 in that line, if the OP doesn't want to downsize to an H6.

I have a Bluetooth ODB-II connector and the BimmerLink app which can be used to register the new battery.
i was going to mention the app. i replaced a battery in a bmw and did not know about app. we carried two batteries one larger than the other but both similar price, expensive, she chose the bigger one. i had a fight to install it in the trunk, but i won that fight. car started and ran fine for a few days. it needed bms reset. i believe the computer shuts down the alternator,

I tried to stretch a 7 year old battery in my 2005 Dodge Magnum. No sign of a weak battery until it wouldn't start one night at 11 PM in a parking lot. Even after I got it jumped started the engine computer did not like the low voltage and the engine barely ran. I had to keep giving it gas at stop lights to keep it from stalling. After barely making it home I got a ride to Walmart the next morning to buy a new battery. Long story short: buy a new battery. You got your money's worth at 7 years.

Back