Renault at the edge of the abyss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no Mitsubishi dealer in metro St. Louis--2.9 million people and nothing. Closest is Columbia, MO and Decatur, IL. Talked to a salesman at a Suzuki dealer next door run by the same company as the closed Mitsu dealership. He said that the decision to close was spurred by Mitsubishi getting in bed with Nissan and Renault. The dealership chain had never carried anything Nissan and wasn't about to given its reputation.

Far too many brands in the game, and combine that with current generation that doesn't place high priority on car ownership (using Uber, Lyft etc) makes it far harder to stay profitable.

"Renault at the edge of the abyss."

IMO they always were I only hear of them in the European market. I never see any car made by them up here in Canada.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Go ahead and push it on over. Take Fiat and Chrysler too.

Yeah! Take Nebraska too! Birds fly upside down when crossing Nebraska.

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Go ahead and push it on over. Take Fiat and Chrysler too.

Nah, I love what they are doing with Jeep, Ram, and the hot rods. They did a helluva job on the Wrangler and Gladiator, (and Ram, too!) so they get to stay.

Originally Posted by csandste
Quoting myself...."Talked to a salesman at a Suzuki dealer next door run by the same company ".

Too late to edit. Should have been Subaru. Maybe I had a micro stroke or something.

That's okay. Both those brands are in the Toyota family.

in Japan: larger conglomerates may own portion of other immediate competitor's shares, but aside from that, those "competitors" are allowed to own their own technologies, their own designs, and run as independent companies (unlike some other countries conglomerates, which try to take possession of competitor's technologies and stifle their competitors along the way...)

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
"Renault at the edge of the abyss."

IMO they always were I only hear of them in the European market. I never see any car made by them up here in Canada.

Maybe it depends on where you are but from my viewpoint the French brands were never competitive in the US. Renault and Peugeot tried. Citroen just couldn't.

As for Nissan, they may have to reinvent themselves or be swallowed up by someone else for their physical assets. Its a shame too. As for Mitsubishi, they have written off the US. Their stronghold is in the emerging markets. The automotive branch of Mitsubishi is very small compared to the rest of that behemoth. Maybe they will let it whither?

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by csandste
Quoting myself...."Talked to a salesman at a Suzuki dealer next door run by the same company ".

Too late to edit. Should have been Subaru. Maybe I had a micro stroke or something.

That's okay. Both those brands are in the Toyota family.

Suzuki didn't survive the crap Daewoo stuff that GM foisted off on them--the Reno comes to mind, although someone on here bought a close out new Daewoo at next to nothing and had wonderful luck with it.

Originally Posted by Quest
in Japan: larger conglomerates may own portion of other immediate competitor's shares, but aside from that, those "competitors" are allowed to own their own technologies, their own designs, and run as independent companies (unlike some other countries conglomerates, which try to take possession of competitor's technologies and stifle their competitors along the way...)

True. Another consideration is that the Japanese auto companies are not entirely automotive in nature. Defense, aerospace, robots, and personal mobility are some of the other sectors these companies are in.

Example: we see Subaru as a car company but if you have flown on a Boeing aircraft or a Airbus 380 lately you have encountered Subaru's aerospace technology and manufacturing.

True. Another consideration is that the Japanese auto companies are not entirely automotive in nature. Defense, aerospace, robots, and personal mobility are some of the other sectors these companies are in.

Example: we see Subaru as a car company but if you have flown on a Boeing aircraft or a Airbus 380 lately you have encountered Subaru's aerospace technology and manufacturing.

Mitsu is a major player in aerospace as well. They along with Kawasaki are also Japan's biggest shipbuilders. Kawasaki is involved with trains as well.

Originally Posted by nthach

Mitsu is a major player in aerospace as well. They along with Kawasaki are also Japan's biggest shipbuilders. Kawasaki is involved with trains as well.

Mitsubishi makes everything from ball point pens to air conditioners to nuclear reactors. They are into everything. Real estate, hospitals, banking, investing, and so on. Something like General Electric used to be.

Kawasaki is also big in a lot of areas. The next high speed train you ride on might be from Kawasaki.

Saw a commercial for new Mitsubishi suv line up, they finally nailed styling to make it more appealing to those buyers in that market. If only they nailed it 6-7 years ago. Only vehicle they ever got right styling wise was the lancer 2nd 3rd gen. rest were hideous......looking at you gallant especially.

And Suzuki has always been underrated and over looked, they started making great cars, swift sx4, and I personally liked the kizashi awd sport model.

That's really spot on. Another good example is their Outlander. In this day and age of crossovers the Outlander was actually a decent vehicle. The trim with the 3.0 V6 would give plenty of power for what it was. The problem though was that Mitsubishi never updated the styling or powertrain for years and years. Minor updates here and there but really the same car. They were also one of the first with a PHEV but it never got into the US market for a variety of reasons. That Outlander PHEV could have been a big seller.

People talk about how Toyota sticks with the same stuff that is proven, that Mitsubishi 3.0 engine goes way back to the Chrysler minivan era. A good engine but times change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back