Remote key - OEM vs aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
So one of the remote keys got misplaced for the '14 RAV4. It will probably turn up but makes me nervous to have only one key. It only does the locks and panic button. For kicks I called the Toyota garage and they only want $275 for the key and $75 to program it.
mad.gif
There are aftermarket keys on Amazon and Ebay for under $50 that have OK reviews. Has anyone tried an aftermarket remote key and has it been alright? Probably still have to pay the $75 to have the chip programmed. It seems like there might be non-remote keys that you just get cut and programmed as well. TIA

$350 for a key and programming a chip is just hoggish.

A used car guy mentioned "Capt. Car Key" as his go to guy. I looked up the name. It appeared to be a national chain.
Try that.

Reading others' experiences with Volvos (my cars for >15 years) the aftermarket through ebay has a high failure/cheap-counterfeit hardware rate.
Remember, those who've been burned are less likely to admit it.
I'm not saying you can't find a suitable key. In fact, being a 2014, there's been time for the locksmiths to catch up.

Ask at used car dealers and locksmiths. Be careful with the key you have.

My BIL bought a Genesis G80 and they'll make you one, maybe 2 keys for the car EVER.
After that you have to replace the cylinder and likely other eguts.
Be glad it's a Toyota (popular car).

My keyfob thing stopped working over a year ago. One day I went out to go to work when I found that out. So I tried to use the key in the doorlock, well, the key just spun around in circles like it wasn't connected to anything. Talk about a [censored] do I do now moment?. I walked around the car trying the keyfob when I heard a faint click at the rear window. It popped open and I climbed thru it to unlock the drivers door. It was easier and cheaper to get the doorlock rod hooked back up then getting a new fob. Do newer cars even have keylocks in the doors anymore?. Mine only has one on the drivers door. and it's a '02.,,,

Yeah I bought an amazon key for my Scion XB. Had a local guy from craigslist cut and program it for 75 bucks in like ten minutes in my parking lot.

Its been working fine for 4 years after.

The guy used what looked to be a cheap ebay tool to program the key to the system.

I thought you needed to have a techstream setup but apparently not for this model.

The same guy is going to do a key for my escape for 75 bucks.

My sons Cruze now requires two fobs … one that still has the push button sensor (buttons RIP) and the newer does the door locks/alarm. When the battery died when locked … the key got us in to unlatch the hood and change battery

That's as far as he got trying himself with an eBay special and after checking with the dealer$hip

I have bought extra keys and fobs for all my vehicles as spares beyond the two drivers. eBay every time. I have always been able to program both the RFID chip in the key as well as the fob using instructions that I've found online. Most are a sequence of ignition cycles and door openings for the Toyota vehicles. The only extra thing requires is having the key blank cut at a locksmith to match the original when it arrives.

I just went to my handy locksmith that I trust (because he calibrates his machines every few months).

He put the 2015 Ford keyfob in his encoding machine and said his machine was not at the right level of function to do my Ford keyfob. The Ford keyfob has the door unlock/lock button plus start and its a chip key so that key (outside of the keyfob functions) is programmed to my car. The locksmith said he would need an adapter to his machine to me able to program a keyfob for my Ford and that adapter is a couple of thousand.

I am at the same situation as OP. Lost the other keyfob and down to one.

Now if its a situation of locking keyfob in car, the locksmith can cut a key inexpensively that will unlock door but thats it. It cannot start the vehicle.

Some lockmiths may have all the encoding machines. But they are expensive.

That not bad, a lot of cars go to the bone yard for lost keys. I see an low mile 08 in nice shape missing keys and fobs, the dealer wants almost 2K to change the ISM module and associated parts with 2 new for/key units.
I use a ISM rebuild kit for $135 and 2 new OE fobs for $75ea and divorce the old ISM and marry the module myself with the tech 2 (a real one with online access).

When replacing lost keys and fobs I go OE only.

Originally Posted by tcp71
I have bought extra keys and fobs for all my vehicles as spares beyond the two drivers. eBay every time. I have always been able to program both the RFID chip in the key as well as the fob using instructions that I've found online. Most are a sequence of ignition cycles and door openings for the Toyota vehicles. The only extra thing requires is having the key blank cut at a locksmith to match the original when it arrives.

If you can direct me to a programming sequence I'd greatly appreciate it. Everything I find says programming with software or a device is required along with ignition cycles.

$350 for a KEY isn't reasonable it's obscene. Don't care if it's a RAV4 or a Mercedes S Class. No reason for it but excessive profit taking.

I'm going to get an OEM chip key with no remote and one of these OBD programmer things and see how it goes. I think the key is in the house not gone forever and as soon as I get another one it will show up.

Do not use an aftermarket market key because that have a high failure rate. I was in a situation with a Ford Fusion and bought an OEM key off eBay for $25 then had it cut and ACE hardware and programmed it myself. That's the way to do it.

Originally Posted by Donald
I just went to my handy locksmith that I trust (because he calibrates his machines every few months).

He put the 2015 Ford keyfob in his encoding machine and said his machine was not at the right level of function to do my Ford keyfob. The Ford keyfob has the door unlock/lock button plus start and its a chip key so that key (outside of the keyfob functions) is programmed to my car. The locksmith said he would need an adapter to his machine to me able to program a keyfob for my Ford and that adapter is a couple of thousand.

Now if its a situation of locking keyfob in car, the locksmith can cut a key inexpensively that will unlock door but thats it. It cannot start the vehicle.

I believe with Forscan, you can actually program your own keys and it's free. Too bad it only works on Ford.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Donald

I believe with Forscan, you can actually program your own keys and it's free. Too bad it only works on Ford.

Yup. I've used Forscan for this several times and it works great. Now I just want a GMscan
smile.gif

Last edited:
Keep searching. Keep searching. It has to be in the garage, coat pocket, garbage can, wife's purse, dirty clothes basket, seat cushion gaps, side door panel, etc.

Some locksmiths stock an "universal" key that can be programmed to replicate the OEM fob - YMMV, and the cost might be as much as going to the dealer. OEM keys are the way to go IMO, it's an easy process on some to program the new key to start the engine(PCM/ECU) and to secure(BCM/body gateway module) the car. Others need a series of codes or the 1st/2nd immobilizer password to program keys/fobs.

http://www.ilco.us/products/automot...1415854/smart4carTM-vehicle-remotes.html

It seems like Strattec is OEM-licensed by Ford and GM, and they do stock OEM fobs as a distributor for the aftermarket.

Originally Posted by nthach
It seems like Strattec is OEM-licensed by Ford and GM, and they do stock OEM fobs as a distributor for the aftermarket.

They make the Ford keys. We don't have a sidemill cutter, basically the laser cut style, so we order those pre-cut from Rotunda. They come from Strattec in Texas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back