Regretted Selling a Car?

Have you ever sold a car and later regretted it?

I had a 1993 Mustang that was my first car I got while I was in high school. I built a 347ci SBF for it that made ~485 hp and was a blast to drive. I was forced to sell it after I was suddenly laid off. That hurt, but then just 2 weeks later, the person I sold it to wrapped it around a tree.

My wife has a 2006 Altima that was her first car. It now has 235k miles and is showing a lot of wear and tear. Engine is fine, but the paint is in bad shape, front bumper is cracked from where she ran into a stump, it keeps chewing up wheel bearings, and now the transmission has started slipping in 4th gear. We're debating if it's worth fixing it or just replace it. She doesn't want to part with it.

What vehicle have you sold and later regretted?

I regret selling my '01 A4, alas, I was moving from one continent to another, so bringing it along just did not make any financial sense.

No offense, but you'd be doing the Altima a favor to wrap it around a tree (with no one in it). Replacing that trans is probably $3-4k all told on a car they would likely not take on trade even if it was working fine; I'd guess once you get the wife out and looking you'll have no problem getting her something new.

Yes, I have several cars I miss... 2009 G8 GT, 93 Mustang GT, 96 Mustang Cobra, 91 SHO Performance Edition... but at that point in my life those vehicles had outlived their usefulness or utility. Some day I plan on erasing all of their memories by getting a 2017 Chevrolet SS with a manual and sticking a small Precision Turbo on it.

I miss my Jetta TDI wagon, but in all honesty it was right at the point where it was time to move on--lots of expenses coming up, and I couldn't do the work to keep it "affordable". In general, I don't regret getting rid of any of my vehicles; maybe I regret buying a few of them though.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
No offense, but you'd be doing the Altima a favor to wrap it around a tree (with no one in it). Replacing that trans is probably $3-4k all told on a car they would likely not take on trade even if it was working fine; I'd guess once you get the wife out and looking you'll have no problem getting her something new.

Eh... The transmission I could probably pull and rebuild myself. I just don't know if it's worth the effort.

Yes my 2010 FJ cruiser trail teams edition. It was a fun unique vehicle, I had a lot of fun with it and didn't realize it had become sentimental. With all the trails and camping trips it took me on.
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
What vehicle have you sold and later regretted?

No cars are something I get emotional about. But the car builders love to hear this. 90 some percent of what they build today I consider transportation boxes the others well I'm never spending that much on a car.

I regret trading my last F150. Mostly due to the fact that I only purchased a newer model of the same truck. I should have went to a crew cab but stayed with an extended cab and 6.5 bed. I wanted out of that one due to the fact that I was right around the 200k mark, looking back I could have made it last me a few more years and enjoyed the no payment life longer. It's been 3 years now and I've reached no payment time on the most recent truck.

Last F150 for me also. Bought when there were no kids and didn't plan to have any. Xtracab had the rear clamshell doors....married Ms JLTD with two high schoolers so had to make a trade for a more fam friendly vehicle.

I seem to be thrilled to get rid of things. I have no regrets what so ever about the sale of the cars I've owned. I've even given away a few. Gave my old F150 to my brother. I was happy to see it go to a good home.

1985 Mustang GT. Last year with Holley carburetor and no 3rd taillight.
When I sold it in the mid 90's it had less than 8k miles. Not much of a performer by todays standards but man it sure sounded good.

A little bit right now. Last evening I sold the 1986 Samurai tintop we've had for 17 years. Had lots of fun with it and it held memories and sentimental value but we just haven't been using it and the new house doesn't have a place to keep it inside. Upside is the new owner is thrilled with it.

I really miss my 04 Subaru STi. I sold it with 115k miles, it was reliable and super fun to drive. Lesson learned: never sell a car because of a female.

What I do miss though, is the "instant" throttle response of yesterdays cars. Other than that, today's stuff is amazingly better.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Eh... The transmission I could probably pull and rebuild myself. I just don't know if it's worth the effort.

Ummm, it's probably not. A 2006 Nissan Altima with a slipping tranny is worth negative dollars.

But old cars have a value not reflected in dollars. Is the car special to YOU ? And if it needs a couple of thousand dollars of work, think about what exactly that same amount of money would get you in a different car. Not much ...

And, if you are willing and able to do some of the work yourself, that makes a HUGE difference.

I regret pretty much everything I have sold but them life goes on to sometimes better.

Back