Refrigerator Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, Bitgoers, and happy Monday! Looking for any and all opinions on a new fridge. The Samsung 4-door that I paid a small fortune for just 5 short years ago has failed, and is apparently non-repairable. The ice maker has never worked correctly, and the electronics were troublesome from the beginning, so, while I'm soliciting suggestions, I'm also advising that you STAY AWAY from Samsung refrigerators. I'm looking for recommendations for a stainless, preferably side-by-side, door service with the ice maker in the freezer (where it belongs), no larger than 36W, 36D, 72H, that you have had good luck with. Let's hear it! I'm looking for more years of trouble-free service this time around!

That's pretty narrow for a fridge, I'm in the same boat.
I bought a Whirlpool from Home Depot, side by side, bottom freezer pull drawer with ice maker, water in left door, 7 years ago.
Still rolling along. As with any appliance, YMMV.

Highly recommend staying away from LG. As stated GE or Frigidaire are decent.

ALL Samsung appliances are like this. My mom is on her second Samsung washer, and its starting to die. She bought the first one around 2013? The original dryer always had problems with the internals coming loose. I was rocking an old Maytag up to a few years ago from the mid/late 80s. It did everything I asked of it. You just couldn't find parts for them anymore.

I had a Kitchen-Aid refrigerator leak due to a defective part that got recalled. The recall covered the cost of the $5 part, but of course I was on the hook for the labor and repairing the damaged floor. I would steer clear of Kitchen-Aid just due to their terrible customer service.

We have all Whirlpool appliances now and so far they've been great.

I've had a GE that was installed by the builder since November 2014. It did have one repair within the first year under warranty for a little fan that failed (like what you find in computer) and everybody in my neighborhood had the same problem since the builder used the same model. Other than that it's been flawless. I like having the ice maker that feeds the door and a smaller drawer within the large bottom freezer drawer which is great for when you have company over.

Last edited:
Stick with the famous US brand appliances, most are made by Whirlpool.
Get one with somewhat old school proven technology with the stainless appearance.

I have an old Amana and it gave me one issue with the defroster went out (a heating element attach to the refrigerant line).
An easy fix except it takes a while to defrost the frosted ice before getting the fixed refrigerator back to operational.

I've always had great luck with WhirlPool products and keep buying them. My fridge is 11 years old now, hasn't skipped a beat. Washer and dryer are 11 years old, mix valve on washer went out 2 years ago, fixed it for $30. Dishwasher is new but the old one was at least 11 years old, still worked the buttons on the front were just getting hard to push. Gas range is at least 11 years old as well, the buttons on the digital panel went out last year and i got a used one for $50.

Pretty reliable all round, never had any issues getting parts either. If I can get 10 years out of appliances with minimal repairs, i'm happy.

Last edited:
We've always had great luck with Whirlpool items. Our dishwasher is made by them and it is 20 years old, still works well. Our current whirlpool fridge is 4 years old and doing fine, although the light insists on blinking when we open the fridge door. Tape over the toggle button fixed that, but of course eliminated the light itself. Other than that, it is working well.

Keep in mind a long lasting, reliable fridge made and bought now might be the search for the holy grail. When I've gone into appliance stores, even sales clerks will admit to me that the current fridges are not going to last 15 years like our previous fridge did. My philosophy on appliances is simply to get the simplest model, with the least amount of advanced tech possible, that simply won't break down. Kind of like my approach to cars.
smile.gif

Last edited:
I am very happy with a GE fridge that is 10 years old although plastic failing here and there for a family of 5.

It was made in Korea by Lucky Gold (LG????).

Originally Posted by madRiver
I am very happy with a GE fridge that is 10 years old although plastic failing here and there for a family of 5.

It was made in Korea by Lucky Gold (LG????).

LG was formerly known as Lucky Goldstar.

We've had good luck with LG appliances, as well as Whirlpool and Maytag.
The most important issue is to buy old tech. Energy-star rules have made appliances unreliable because of too frequent engineering changes. Parts are rarely made for more than 10 years.

Top freezer models are most reliable, secondly side by side.
The old fashioned ice-makers are much easier to fix.
French door and 4 door models are least reliable.

GE is now owned by Haier of China

Assume an 8-10 year lifespan, and stay with cheaper, simpler models.

Good advice, I believe. This stupid Samsung has 3 computers in it, and it's not even one of the super-fancy touch screen fridges that I'm seeing in houses now. All I really want is Ice & water in the door. This junker wasn't my choice. :)

My first frig lasted about 30 years.
It was an Amana that I believe is out of business now.

Of coarse we all want them to last forever, but, consider what they do 24 hours a day;
Sits in a corner of your kitchen and keeps your food cold or frozen
Mine uses 75-95 watts of electricity while running

What ever you buy, make sure it's Energy Star rated.

GE tells you what ones are made in the USA on their site and the percentage similar to the parts sticker on a new car

Very few Whirlpools are still made in Iowa. Mostly just the ones with the fridge portion on top and should have the whirlpool "assembled in usa" sticker on show floor models. All others that don't come from Mexico and should state that on their nameplate inside the fridge

A few Select Frigidaires are made in the USA. All others come from Mexico

Samsung and LG all are made in either Mexico, Korea and even some large appliances from China

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back