Redline VS Amsoil

And the m/c market is another 10,000x smaller. Not even worth modifying the corporate stance on not attacking other boutiques.

Originally Posted by bulwnkl
And the m/c market is another 10,000x smaller. Not even worth modifying the corporate stance on not attacking other boutiques.

I only pointed that out considering this is the motorcycle forum.

Hmmmmmmm! Yet, didn't they advertise for all the others in their test?

I believe Amsoil out performed every other brand in their test... Can't speak as to whether it would outperform Redline however if you beat something you want to show they are not the best.

That seems like a de facto piece of evidence that Redline is excluded from the test that Amsoil beat everyone else at.

Last edited:
I just did a search for a current Amsoil vs Redline test and couldn't find one. Now from what I've seen over the years, any product will only test another product that their results show isn't as good as theirs. And use it in advertisements. I guess that's a legal thing. Amsoil doesn't seem to have a problem with listing other brands , but I didn't see Redline as on of them. So that tells me, Amsoil's results show Redlines test results, either test out as good or better then Amsoils. And if that's the case, they could be sued if it wasn't provable. And Amsoil doesn't even want to mention another brand their oil doesn't test out better then. What would be the point ?. And if Redline happens to be cheaper and easier to get then Amsoil, you know they don't want the buying public to even consider that oil over theirs.,,,

I like both companies for their gear oils in my vehicles and in my shaft-drive motorcycles, but when it came to Japanese motorcycle engine oil, I liked Rotella T6 for shift quality. I ran a long list of synthetics in my Ninjas, & the Virago, and Rotella made the transmissions happiest. Valvoline Motorcycle flunked...worst shifting ever. Just keep in mind that the most expensive boutique oils may not be what your bike ends up liking the best.

I like both companies for their gear oils in my vehicles and in my shaft-drive motorcycles, but when it came to Japanese motorcycle engine oil, I liked Rotella T6 for shift quality. I ran a long list of synthetics in my Ninjas, & the Virago, and Rotella made the transmissions happiest. Valvoline Motorcycle flunked...worst shifting ever. Just keep in mind that the most expensive boutique oils may not be what your bike ends up liking the best.
I have Rotella T6 5W-40 in my 4.6 Mustang and it really seems to like it. No consumption, no noise (it uses 1/4 quart per 1,000 miles on 5W-30 and in all fairness didn't make noise w/5W-30 either)

I just did a search for a current Amsoil vs Redline test and couldn't find one. Now from what I've seen over the years, any product will only test another product that their results show isn't as good as theirs. And use it in advertisements. I guess that's a legal thing. Amsoil doesn't seem to have a problem with listing other brands , but I didn't see Redline as on of them. So that tells me, Amsoil's results show Redlines test results, either test out as good or better then Amsoils. And if that's the case, they could be sued if it wasn't provable. And Amsoil doesn't even want to mention another brand their oil doesn't test out better then. What would be the point ?. And if Redline happens to be cheaper and easier to get then Amsoil, you know they don't want the buying public to even consider that oil over theirs.,,,
Redline is more difficult to acquire than Amsoil and is definitely more expensive. You say that Amsoil doesn't claim they're better than Redline but show me where Redline claims that they're better than Amsoil. Don't think you'll find it anywhere.

Makes sense all the major players would be included if you do testing at all. Amsoil doesn't include Redline in any comparison I've seen recently. If Redline did comparisons at all and excluded Amsoil I'd say the same thing.

Reality is Amsoil is a fantastic lubricant. I don't find it where I shop and when I do it's relatively expensive. This forum is living proof that off the shelf oils will give a quarter million miles or more of reliable protection to any engine. How much wear and tear does Amsoil oil prevent with respect to going a quarter million miles on a vehicle? How long are we going to keep that car or motorcycle, LOL?

However back to oil and motorcycles... In a shared sump, shift quality is paramount for me. I have never heard a complaint around here that Amsoil lost shift quality over an OCI. Regardless of a 4 ball wear test or otherwise, if an oil holds shift quality for 5,000 miles usage (my OCI on a Kawasaki ZRX1200) it's a good one. I have not used Amsoil however I have no doubt it would hold shift quality as well as M1 10w40 4T or 20w50 V-Twin, which both go 5,000 miles with outstanding shift quality in above said motorcycle.

Last edited:
Makes sense all the major players would be included if you do testing at all. Amsoil doesn't include Redline in any comparison I've seen recently. If Redline did comparisons at all and excluded Amsoil I'd say the same thing.

Reality is Amsoil is a fantastic lubricant. I don't find it where I shop and when I do it's relatively expensive. This forum is living proof that off the shelf oils will give a quarter million miles or more of reliable protection to any engine. How much wear and tear does Amsoil oil prevent with respect to going a quarter million miles on a vehicle? How long are we going to keep that car or motorcycle, LOL?

However back to oil and motorcycles... In a shared sump, shift quality is paramount for me. I have never heard a complaint around here that Amsoil lost shift quality over an OCI. Regardless of a 4 ball wear test or otherwise, if an oil holds shift quality for 5,000 miles usage (my OCI on a Kawasaki ZRX1200) it's a good one. I have not used Amsoil however I have no doubt it would hold shift quality as well as M1 10w40 4T or 20w50 V-Twin, which both go 5,000 miles with outstanding shift quality in above said motorcycle.

IME Amsoil wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as Redline or my top choice Motul 300V 4T for shift quality.

Redline is more difficult to acquire than Amsoil and is definitely more expensive. You say that Amsoil doesn't claim they're better than Redline but show me where Redline claims that they're better than Amsoil. Don't think you'll find it anywhere.
I don't know or personally care what either oils cost, because I don't use either oil. But a quick search revealed Redline can be bought / ordered from automotive Speed shop's, Napa stores, Amazon, and even Walmart. So it is relatively easy to get. I never said anything about Redline making claims about being better then Amsoil. How about you showing me a claim where Amsoil says their better then Redline? Try reading my post again slowly .,,

When comparing 50 grades either Amsoil or Red Line or even Mobil 1 will meet and exceed your mileage expectations...

How does the Redline 20-50 motorcycle oil compare the the Amsoil 20-50 motorcycle oil?

I noticed Redline was absent from the Amsoil motorcycle test.

Thanks

We are all discussing a test that doesnt exist if the OP can't provide it. How can we comment on it?

I don’t believe were discussing any test, we’re discussing the fact that there isn’t a test just as the OP mentions to start this thread.

I dug up something from a long time ago that Redline sent their own test results to Amsoil, and Redline “won”. Amsoil duplicated it and was not able to get the results that Redlne achieved. I.E. Amsoil did better when they did the test using parameters Redline used. That’s the closest thing to a “test” I could find. Of note, Redline’s own test showed the advantage when the samples used for testing were used oil, not new oil. By Redline’s test, Amsoil won with new oil. Amsoil’s testing showed they won with both new and used oil. Amsoil pretty much hung their hat on the fact that used oil has too many potential variables even if they are minimized with respect to the sampling of used oil. Can’t say I disagree, however used oil is what we have in our engines as soon as we push the start button.

I have great success with M1 MC specific oils as shared earlier. Shift quality is shift quality. It is good or it is not. Both 4T and V-Twin have no drop-off at 5,000 miles. The ZRX is at 5,100 miles now with the current fill of 4T, aiming for 6,000 as the next change, as at 5,000 miles the last time I used it showed great results

I don’t believe were discussing any test, we’re discussing the fact that there isn’t a test just as the OP mentions to start this thread.

I understand that but the OP seems absent from his thread. I simply asked what test is he referring too. *L*
I THOUGHT maybe this one, but its 10 years old now. One of my favorates because it shows a conventional doing as good and better then much of the synthetics when it comes to WEAR. Amsoil published another report showing the same Valvoline Conventional Motorcycle oil doing better then many synthetics and I will dig that one up too ... .
So ... reasonable to ask, which test is the OP referring too? *L*
https://www.cycleworld.com/sport-rider/oils-well-that-ends-well-part-2/

HERE IS THE OLD AMSOIL TEST ... (I guess you now know why I was asking the OP which test he was referring too)
When it came to wear, Valvoline Conventional was right up near the top passing many synthetics. (link may not work on Apple devices)
Ah, I just answered my own question, OP is right, he refers to the "Amsoil Oil Test" Sorry OP, my mistake IF this is what you are talking about. Having a one sided discussion here. Thing is, its an old report and will not open unless you have flash player, so it will prompt you to download it.

http://wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C96/G-Items/Performance Testing Archives/g2156-2005-archived/index.html

Heck, here is the whole Amsoil test page, if you scroll down you will see the link I posted above ...
https://www.amsoil.com/performance-tests/archive/

Last edited:
HERE IS THE OLD AMSOIL TEST ... (I guess you now know why I was asking the OP which test he was referring too)
When it came to wear, Valvoline Conventional was right up near the top passing many synthetics. (link may not work on Apple devices)
Ah, I just answered my own question, OP is right, he refers to the "Amsoil Oil Test" Sorry OP, my mistake IF this is what you are talking about. Having a one sided discussion here. Thing is, its an old report and will not open unless you have flash player, so it will prompt you to download it.

http://wpc.1c96.edgecastcdn.net/001C96/G-Items/Performance Testing Archives/g2156-2005-archived/index.html

Heck, here is the whole Amsoil test page, if you scroll down you will see the link I posted above ...
https://www.amsoil.com/performance-tests/archive/
I've read that test many times, my goal is trying to find one that includes Redline. Other than what I posted above in post #55, second paragraph, I cannot find anything. Redline has always, and continues to be, conspicuously be absent from anything Amsoil puts out there...

I've read that test many times, my goal is trying to find one that includes Redline. Other than what I posted above in post #55, second paragraph, I cannot find anything. Redline has always, and continues to be, conspicuously be absent from anything Amsoil puts out there...
Good point, Also all of these tests are so old that I doubt there still valid, formula changes etc.

I don't know or personally care what either oils cost, because I don't use either oil. But a quick search revealed Redline can be bought / ordered from automotive Speed shop's, Napa stores, Amazon, and even Walmart. So it is relatively easy to get. I never said anything about Redline making claims about being better then Amsoil. How about you showing me a claim where Amsoil says their better then Redline? Try reading my post again slowly .,,
I'm pretty sure I know what you implied, I'm just playing the tit for tat game. And it's THAN not then. There is a difference.

Back