Redline SL1 and Diesel Engines

What's the collective thinking regarding using Redline SL1 in the fuel of diesel engines? Specifically, I have the VM Motori 3.0L V6 Turbo in my Ram. It's got 104k miles and I am starting to think about.... giving it a 'cleanin'. I did one tank of MMO and several gave me a verbal lashing.... that it wasn't a good practice in diesels. ........

Last edited:
I add 1 bottles of the 85+ every 3 months to a full tank - Why? For that Warm Fuzzy Feeling! I don't Smoke/Dip Snuff/Do Drugs so I have a nice large amount of extra $$$ to spend on Diesel Fuel Additives! Local shop has the 85+ & Diesel Fuel Catalyst on sale every few months. Red Line rep instructed me they were both basically the same formulation.

Purchased a 6pack of Diesel Fuel Catalyst and have run a full bottle in the Ecodiesel and the Bluetec. Honestly never felt any performance improvement and no fuel economy improvement. I suspect the only evidence of improvement would be to crack open the engine and take a look, before and after..... which ain't happening. I'm not sure what I will do with the remaining 4 bottles. It is a pain to measure a few Oz and keep an opened bottle in the vehicle somewhere for every fill. And the wife certainly isn't doing that with her BlueTec. I'm thinking I might do what someone posted above.... Just pour in a full bottle once every 3-4 months and call it a day. I'm actually more interested in cleaning the system, than I am seeking more performance. .........

Short answer - nothing bad should happen. PEA might not be an effective detergent in a diesel engine. There might be a small risk of damage to the DPF/DOC/SCR since SI-1 does have some lubricating abilities and we don't know if Red Line uses a "ashless" oil like they do in their two-stroke oils. The concern is the oil part of SI-1 doesn't burn cleanly as not to load the aftertreatment with ash.