Rectifier/Regulator for AGM batteries

I'm working on a small v twin engine which has no 12v output. The permanent magnet stator (single phase) is good, but the little wimpy regulator is fried. Well I wanted to upgrade to an external finned unit that would be suitable for the AGM battery I have in the machine.

It looks like most of the regualtors put out too much voltage for AGM batteries...

Anyone have a universal rectifier/regulator suited to the needs of an AGM battery?

This is for my 27HP Kohler powered Zero turn. I have plenty of room to mount something for better cooling.

Give these guys a call and describe what your set up is or specifically what you are trying to replace. They may have a solution that could help.

A 32 amp harley davidson 89-96 evo regulator is inexpensive and even the china ones are pretty robust. Cut off the plug and splice intor the stator. Ground the case Hot to the battery. I have done several. They are all still working. rated at 32 amps, larger heat sink so lightly loaded.

Rod

A 32 amp harley davidson 89-96 evo regulator is inexpensive and even the china ones are pretty robust. Cut off the plug and splice intor the stator. Ground the case Hot to the battery. I have done several. They are all still working. rated at 32 amps, larger heat sink so lightly loaded.

Rod
This was actually my thought as well. Would there be any actual difference in the R/R for an AGM algorithm?

Your suggestion is exactly what I was planning. There are also many universal R/R on ebay suited for Hondas and Triumphs as well.

The stator in this is of unknown wattage, but I'd think it's in the 100 watt range well under anything with a real heatsink Would be rated for.

My '01 Twin Cam regulator has been properly charging AGM's since new. OEM battery got pulled due to age in '11. Odessey replacement is still in it going strong.

Well.....I bought a twin cam regulator on the flea-bay. Mounted it in an area which has plenty of cool air flow and wired it in.

Works perfectly! We'll overbuilt for my tiny R.

I got this X-Mark 60" zero turn for free due to it having many issues. I replaced both ignition coils (have to pull the engine) with genuine Kohler updated units (no more CDI box). Now the charging system is working too! I've been using a battery maintainer all summer on it after each use.

Power washed everything with hot water while I had the engine out. Lots of crud, oil cooler was completely plugged with oily grass, as were much of the cooling fins.

Thank you guys!!

20230909_112426.jpg
20230909_112431.jpg
20230909_112441.jpg
20230909_125755.jpg

Back