Recommendation for tuned BMW N55?

I picked up an M235i in January, and I tend to do my yearly oil changes (only about 7k miles per year) around April. It's a stage 1 tune with full bolt ons, so I'm looking for a stout oil to protect it. So far I've seen castrol 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 (all A3/B4), Ravenol 0w-40 (pricey). What would you guys recommend?

Redline 5w/10w40. Been running that in my 600hp n54 for over 45k miles. Just change it more often (5k) if you drive it hard.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for the recommendation. Any reason you use Castrol 0w-40 in your modded X3 but not the 135i? Just saving a bit of cash on a less demanding application?

Whenever somebody asks for a stout oil for a gasoline turbo engine, I think Redline 10w40, and Amsoil AMO 10w40.

Reason X3 gets Castrol is because it isnt driven as hard as my 135i and also X3 gets driven more miles yearly than the 135i. The 135i gets tracktime, street shanigans and drag racing.

Cool. I still have my 08 135i with nothing but the ppk tune, and I will fill that with Castrol 0w-40 because of its near-stock output and I'm planning to sell it soon anyway.

Two questions for you guys more in the know:
1. Is 0w going to be significantly beneficial to me in the Georgia climate compared to 5w, and the same thing for 5w vs 10?
2. Is there any general consensus of how amsoil, redline, ravenol full synthetic, and other "high end" oils stack up against each other, or would anything of those be similar to each other and a cut above stuff like M1 and Castrol?
3. What would probably be better for the engine: using Castrol 0w40 with 3k intervals or redline/amsoil/ravenol with a 7-8k interval?

Originally Posted by RIPGermanCastrol
I picked up an M235i in January, and I tend to do my yearly oil changes (only about 7k miles per year) around April. It's a stage 1 tune with full bolt ons, so I'm looking for a stout oil to protect it. So far I've seen castrol 0w-30, 0w-40, 5w-30 (all A3/B4), Ravenol 0w-40 (pricey). What would you guys recommend?

Castrol 0W40 will do the trick, Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. You are in GA, no need to pay Premium for Castrol Edge 0W30.

Cool. I still have my 08 135i with nothing but the ppk tune, and I will fill that with Castrol 0w-40 because of its near-stock output and I'm planning to sell it soon anyway.

1. Is 0w going to be significantly beneficial to me in the Georgia climate compared to 5w, and the same thing for 5w vs 10?
2. Is there any general consensus of how amsoil, redline, ravenol full synthetic, and other "high end" oils stack up against each other, or would anything of those be similar to each other and a cut above stuff like M1 and Castrol?
3. What would probably be better for the engine: using Castrol 0w40 with 3k intervals or redline/amsoil/ravenol with a 7-8k interval?

Unless you are running e85 tune Castrol at 7k or so is just fine. Maybe 5k if you throw in a couple track days (road course)

5W is going to be good in all 48 states. So do not pay attention to that. Castrol 0W30 and 0W40 are just really good oils, so that is why people use them.
I currently sue Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 in my N52, and it is smooth as silk.

For everyday driving, any LL01. For Example: BMW TPT 5w30 or the 0w40 (LL01).

1. 10w is good down to -25c, 5w is -35c and 0w is good as cold as -40c, so it depends on how cold your weather can be in Ga.
2. Redline is exceptional if you want maximum protection under extreme hard use. I can't comment on Amsoil because I've never used it.
3. Redline Xw30/40 depending on your oil temp, changed every 7-8k would keep that engine very clean and very happy, Castrol might struggle with the temperature in something as highly tuned as your car

Alright, I think I'll give redline a go. Does anyone have any thoughts about the best weight for my climate (roughly 25F at the coldest of the year and 95F at the hottest), and what kind of Redline to go with? I see they have a Euro blend, but it seems marketed for diesels and cars getting European gasoline.

Ended up ordering Redline 5w-40 that Summit Racing has for a pretty decent price. The 1er will have to wait for its Castrol because Walmart won't ship the 1qt bottles and I'm sure as [censored] not going into Walmart right now
lol.gif

Ended up ordering Redline 5w-40 that Summit Racing has for a pretty decent price. The 1er will have to wait for its Castrol because Walmart won't ship the 1qt bottles and I'm sure as [censored] not going into Walmart right now
lol.gif

if it's not too late, and you live in N. Atlanta you can try Harrison's Motorsports and pick up some up if they have what you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for the rec, they aren't far from me. I ordered from summit yesterday around 3:30 pm and the oil got to my doorstep before noon today. The gallon jug was $37.70 and the quart bottles were $10.40. Pretty sweet deal considering one day shipping and how much other sellers' redline 5w40 are.

Thanks for the rec, they aren't far from me. I ordered from summit yesterday around 3:30 pm and the oil got to my doorstep before noon today. The gallon jug was $37.70 and the quart bottles were $10.40. Pretty sweet deal considering one day shipping and how much other sellers' redline 5w40 are.

And why would you need such thick oil?

Originally Posted by edyvw

Well, I see you also use 5w40 in your 328i, and the 328i's N52 won't get nearly as toasty as a modded N55. 5w40 is an approved weight in the manual, I was recommended it in this thread, and Georgia has some awfully hot summers. I think it was a good choice.

If the OP is going with 7K mile OCIs on a DI engine, you can count on fuel dilution of the oil knocking the 40-wt viscosity down to a likely 30-wt oil towards the end of the OCI, so starting with a higher wt oil is not a bad choice, given these parameters.

I'm a 5K mile OCI convert, and I have had great UOA #'s with Valvoline Modern Engine 5W30 Oil in the VR30DDTT engine in my '17 Infiniti Q60 Red Sport.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Well, I see you also use 5w40 in your 328i, and the 328i's N52 won't get nearly as toasty as a modded N55. 5w40 is an approved weight in the manual, I was recommended it in this thread, and Georgia has some awfully hot summers. I think it was a good choice.

There is HUGE difference between Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40 and Redline 5W40.
PP Euro KV100 is 12.8.
Redline 5W40 is 15.6.
Redline is roughly 21.9% thicker than PP Euro 5W40.
I know summers in Georgia. I lived 8 years in Alabama. I ran Edge 0W30 in VW turbo engine in Alabama, never had an issue.
One thing is for sure, with that Redline engine will run hotter.

I take your point, and I am just a filthy casual so don't expect a good response from me. I took the advice posted here and assumed it's fine based on the manual's allowance of 5w40. However, because it really is on the thicker side of the 40w spectrum, perhaps I will swap it out for RL 5w30 or PPE 5w40 when it gets cooler out. I assume this should be a fine summer oil, no?

Back